Orthopedics Community

Reijury to distal bicep tendon 2 yrs post op

Hello and thank you for your time. I am a 39 year old male. Just over two years ago I tore my right distal bicep tendon which was surgically repaired. I completed physical therapy and was fairly consistent with my workouts for about six months post op. I then became lazy and stopped working out entirely for about 1.5 years. This week I decided it was time to get back to it. My first workout involving my right arm was using a 35 lb kettlebell. After four sets of 15 reps, my biceps were tight but no pain. The next morning I had significant pain at my right elbow at the same spot of the previous injury, only the pain was more severe. I did not see and swelling or bruising and I did not hear or fell any pops during the workout. The second day (today), the pain was much worse. I have very little lifting strength with my right arm. I feel very little pain so long as I keep my arm bent less than 90 degrees. If I extend my arm past 90 degrees, the pain intensifies, however once nearly fully extended, the pain will subside somewhat but not completely. I have not been able to completely straighten my arm. If I bent back to less than 90 degrees, it feels like the tendon shortens. I was hoping to wait a few more days to see if the pain subsides before going back to a doctor, but I'm not certain the best treatment in the mean time. Do I use ice or heat? Should I go back to the doctor right away or is it likely that I just used too much weight too quickly and over strained the tendon. Thank you again for your help.
Hi there!

Well, without a detailed clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of the symptoms. Possibilities that may need to be considered include inflammation, re-tear, injuries to ligaments etc. I would recommend getting this examined by an orthopedician at your earliest convenience for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. Meanwhile you may try using warm compresses/ ice-packs (whatever you feel helps) and OTC NSAIDS for symptomatic relief.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.