Orthopedics Community

Rolled ankle: popping sound + pain but no swelling or bruising

I skate roller derby and a few days ago I rolled my ankle and pretty much fell and sat right down on it while skating. I heard a popping/crunching sound when it happened, and it hurt pretty bad. I was able to continue skating the rest of the night on it, as long as I didn't make any lateral movements.

There hasn't been any noticable swelling or bruising, and for about 80% of my range of motion I don't have any pain or instability. However, when I put weight towards the outside of my foot it's incredibly painful and feels very unstable. The outside of my ankle towards the front of my foot is incredibly tender and sore to the touch. I am able to walk and even run without discomfort, but I cannot step laterally.

Does this sound like it could be a chipped bone, or is it more likely to just be a bad sprain?
Hi there!

Well, without a clinical evaluation t would be difficult to differentiate between the two. I would suggest getting this evaluated by a primary care physician or an orthopedician at your earliest convenience for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management.
Hope this is useful.

Take care!
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.