Orthopedics Community

SCFE and its effects years later...

I was wondering if there is anyone out there who has had surgery for SCFE as a child and is now suffering from early onset arthritis and constant hip pain. I am 29 years old and has two surgeries to repair SCFE when I was 10 and 13. I was slightly overweight (not obese) as a child, which I have been told was a contributing factor. I was told to resume normal physical activity shortly after the second surgery, which I had done and continue to do. At 28, after vigorous weight training workouts, I began experiencing sharp groin and dull outer hip pain, and after finally going to see a doctor have been given a pretty crappy prognosis. The doctors seem to think that I have begun feeling the effects of arthritis and are talking eventual hip replacement as soon as 10 years from now. Is there anyone to whom this has happened? If so, how have you gone about physically making the best of it? What courses of action have you taken (cortisone, arthroscopic surgery, etc?) I just want some guidance from someone who has been through it, not a doctor telling me what "could" happen. Thanks.
Hi Bethany,

My name is Jason. I can definitely relate to your struggles with the after-effects of a slipped capital  femoral epiphysis. I had both of my hips pinned when I was thirteen years old. My right hip was a more severe slip; my left hip was a mild slip. However, my right leg has been a constant source of ongoing trouble for me - pain, stiffness, achiness, etc - for years. I am 34-years old now, and for the past 4 years I have had a lot of trouble with my right leg and hip. Most of the pain that I experience seems to be muscle-related pain - my actual hip joint rarely hurts. But my right leg is a little bit shorter than the left leg, and the muscles in my right thigh are smaller and somewhat atrophied compared to the muscles in m left leg. My x-rays show some early osteoarthritis in my right hip, and my right hip is pretty deformed and flattened out on top.

I struggle to remain active. I too enjoy working out - weight lifting, hiking, cycling, etc - but it can be pretty difficult to do on some days. My range of motion is restricted, and I experience a lot of pain and stiffness in my lower back(again, rarely do I have pain in my hip)...This scfe problem has been tough to deal with since I was a kid, and psychologically it has had a huge impact on me.....

I have never had any corrective surgery for this other than the hip pinning at age 13. But certain types of surgery - osteotomy, hip resurfacing, hip replacement - are definitely a consideration......I lay awake at night dreaming of how great it would be to have a normal set of hips!

Feel free to contact me......***@****

Jason
Thanks for your comment. It's good (well not "good" ah, you know what I mean!) to know that there are others who have the same issues. After the second SCFE surgery the doctors talked like I would never ever have any trouble with my leg again, like it was a miracle surgery. Turns out, the pain that I was beginning to think was a possible bout of Munchausen's Syndrome was finally, after six months, diagnosed as a labral tear. I was seriously begining to think I was nuts! Good luck with everything, and thank you for getting back to me. This is definitely not the easiest thing in the world to deal with, especially getting older and having it rear its ugly head again. :-)

My name is Terrisa and I had a pin put in my hip because of SCFE aprox. 12 years ago. I was 15 when I had it put in and I'm now 27 years old. When I had it done I was limping and having sharp hip pain (I know you know what I mean.....it sucked!) and after going to several incompetent doctors that simply told me to take some f!@@ing Motrin, I finally found a good doctor that diagnosed the problem properly and I was pinned the next day.

I've been able to run, workout, hell....I even do competitive ballroom dancing..........NO PROBLEMS! Until, a few moths ago I started having knee pain, and now I'm starting to have the same pain that I had before I even had the f!@#ing pin put in!!!! I knew arthritis was coming, but, God......please not this soon! No more limping, no more limited range of motion, no more pain, and please ....... no more surgery!! Having that pin put in my hip was a nightmare and to see this problem rearing its f&$@ing ugly head again is causing emotional and psychological problems all over again!

Is it just me, or is it too soon the have these problems? I was told that I would be good for at least 20 years before I started having problems with arthritis and what not! I know there are people out there with far more severe medical problems, but this really sux and I'd like to hear from any others with this problem/situation.

Thank you.....
The most common treatment of SCFE is called "in-situ fixation." With this treatment, the bone is held in place with a single central screw.
You have to understand that you have a slipped capital femoral epiphysis earlier for which you were fixed with a pin. The diagnosis was difficult as you faced the problem yourself. Now with the present complication you have to visit a good orthopaedician and discuss the pros and cons and go for treatment.
You should not bear weight on the affected leg until SCFE has been ruled out or treated. Take intermittent anti inflammatory drugs and take care!
I am now 30 and noticed the pain when I was 28. If the pain continues, get yourself to a good orthopedic surgeon and AT LEAST ask for an MRI arthrogram. I had a HUGE tear in my labrum, an impingement, and synovitis that needed to be fixed arthroscopically, and the arthritis was present, all as a direct result of the SCFE. Rehab after surgery is 6 months, and a surgeon who specializes in hip arthroscopy is hard to find but they do exist.
I also thought I would make it to at least 40 with no problems; a lot of people with this issue do, but nope, not me. I am now 6 months post-op and though not back to where I was 3 years ago, I'm able to run (though advised not to) about a mile without stopping due to pain. If you do have a torn labrum, prepare for a long road ahead. The worst part is the weight gain, but 2 months on crutches sucked also.  

Best of luck to you!
Oh my gosh, you guys are scarring me!  My 11 year old son just had surgery last Tuesday for a unstable SCFE.  He is doing really good now, still on crutches and wheelchair, we have a follow up today.  But after reading all you stories, I hope it does not happen to him.  Was there anyone else that had both hips done?  My son just had his right and they xrayed his left while he was under, but the dr. said it looked good right now!  Man, this is a serious thing!  Hope everyone is doing ok.  
Leda3875.  I had both hips done 49 years ago when I was 12 (my pins could not be removed).  At the time my doctor said to expect arthritis in my early 30s.  However, the arthritis finally developed 5 years ago.  I attribute this a lifetime of playing sports and running.  I have NEVER stopped exercising even now when it is difficulty.  I suspect I will need hip replacement in the near future assuming it can be done given the pins are still there.  I believe your son can have a fairly normal life and possibly delay the arthritis for decades through almost daily cardio-type exercise to increase blood flow to the hips.  Good luck.  It was a traumatic thing for me at 12 so I know how your son feels
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.