Orthopedics Community

Scaphoid Non Union - Wrist Fusion vs PRC

Hello Members of the forum.
I am so glad that I found this forum at right time.

I will try to keep my story short .. the scaphoid of my right wrist fractured 20 years ago and left it un treated, now it became a non-union. No severe pain in last 15 years but started from last 5 years, it became more frequent in last 2 years, may be 3 to 4 times an year, and it takes a week to get back to normal.  it is not disturbing my normal life  during the other times... I can lift moderate weights and do pretty much what a home owner can do. I always keep vicodine / ibuprofen handy.

I visited ortho specialist a month ago and he ordered MRI to assess the current situation.  Specialist says push it as long as you can bare the pain. I have to visit him in a week to look at MRI and make a decision whether to go for surgery or wait until it gets worse ...  

These are the questions that I am thinking almost every day ...

1) I am 40 yrs old now, is it better to go for surgery now or wait until it gets worse? Does it really gets worse with age?

2) Specialist says PRC (proximal row carpectomy) is better if I prefer surgery, but my internet reading says 4 bone fusion  is better for my age group, which one is better? This hospital carries their own insurance and they usually recommend easier & cheap options than better options.

3) can we expect better treatment option in near future? may be 3d printing and replace wrist bones?

Hope your research and opinion helps me to visualize my future and make better decision.  Thank you in advance.

Krish

Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.