Orthopedics Community

Scaphoid bone fracture?

4 days ago i fell on my palms. I felt some pain but i was able to go home on a bike. Later when i got home i had a severe pain and light swelling in my right wrist. My left hand hurt as well, but not as much.

I went to a doctor immediately, after usual tests and x-ray he said i have a scaphoid fracture in my right hand wrist. He put my arm in a cast until elbow with all 5 fingers free. He didn't seem overly optimistic and he said that the recovery period is long, and that it's not rare for this bone not to heal.

I'm 23 years old, very active, and my job requires me to be physically well prepared. That leads me to my questions:

1. Can you show me the exact location of my fracture?
Here's the x-ray http://www.dodaj.rs/f/30/5L/gVaMVZj/030820131920.jpg
I cannot see it and I'm curios whether my fracture is closer to the thumb (heals well) or if it's on proximal pole (hard to heal).

2. Depending on the location of the fracture how serious is my injury and is the cast with the thumb free a good enough treatment option?

3. Is it possible for my injury to heal until september so i can go back to work? This is a huge issue for me. Is there any way i can speed up the recovery?
Hi!
Scaphoid is a small bone situated on the thumb side just above the radius bone. The fracture appears as a small translucency on the bone, more evident on the lateral view. The fracture may take 4-6 weeks to heal and this period will be followed up by physiotherapy. If you are a right hander then it may be 4-6 weeks or more before you can do active duty. I am sorry, there is no way to speed up the recovery. The treatment given appears to be good. However, please take a second opinion from another orthopedic doctor who can examine you. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.