Orthopedics Community

Scaphoid non-union

Hi, I fractured my scaphoid bone two and half years ago. Seven months later I was in great pain. I went to the emergency room where I was told that the bone hadn't healed properly. The following week I went to the fracture clinic and was told that the bone had healed but there was something pressing on it causing the pain. I was referred to a surgeon but had to wait a year to see one. He looked at my x-rays and said that the bone didn't look healed. After a scan and MRI this was confirmed several months later. I was then informed that the bone had died and that it was too risky to do surgery. He said that it was such a small bone and if he operated there was a good possibility that I would lose power and movement. He recommended just leaving it until I'm in such pain that I can no longer stand it. At the minute I am restricted as to what I can do and I am sore at times although it is not constant. If I lift anything it will be really painful for several weeks but will eventually ease with rest. I still have relatively good movement at the minute. Would it be recommended to just leave my wrist as it is or is there anything that should be done now to prevent it getting worse?
Thanks.
Hello, is there an update on your case. I am in similar situation as you are .. but my injury happend around 20 years  ago. Specialists are saying until it get worse but don't know whether the surgery is good at later age.  Appreciate if you let us know how you are doing and any medical treatments that helped you.  Thanks
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.