Orthopedics Community

Severe Pain in the Top of my Foot

My MRI states Nonspecific area of bone marrow edem in the subchondral proximal lateral aspect of the medial cuneiform bone with slight narrowing of the joint space between this bone and the navicular.  Could indicate osteonecrosis or healing stress fracture.  

The pain started about six weeks ago - walking and felt a "pop" in the top of my foot.  Had tremendous pain.  I continue to have the "popping" sensation and severe pain at unexpected times when walking or standing.  

No swelling or bruising.

Any thought?  Thanks so much for your help!
Hi!
Usually a cracking or popping sensation is due to arthritis or due to a ligament tear. It can also be a healing stress fracture. If it is osetonecrosis, then you may need bone stimulation or surgery.
As it is, you will have to use a plaster cast or crutches or CAM boots or splints to avoid putting pressure on the foot. Once there the bone has healed, physiotherapy will be started.
You may need a CT scan to differentiate between osteonecrosis or stress fracture. Treatment will depend on diagnosis. Please discuss with your doctor. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.