Orthopedics Community

Severe hip & back pain

I am 61 yrs old female, and have suffered back pains for several years, quite recently I am experiencing severe pain in the left hip and buttocks, left shoulder blade, left rib cage and pain down the left leg to toes. All in the joints, and when I rise from a sitting position, my hip seems to lock and generate a searing pain that is relieved when I twist my body into another position. I have recently been diagnosed as having venous reflux desease of the legs and scheduled to have a procedure to block the veins that are not functioning properly in my legs.  I have placed this on hold as I do not believe that this is the main source of my problems, as the doctor told me that this condition will not cause most of the symptions I am experiencing. My question is, are any other sufferers experiencing these symptons and if so were you told that it was osteoarthritis.  Have you had any real break through apart from the doctors prescribing medication for pain management.  I am becoming so frustrated.  I feel like the doctors are just making you comfortable by controlling the pain and not really getting to the source of the pain.
Thanks....JVJ08
Hi there!

Well, without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. Possibilities that may need to be considered include postural issues, neuro-muscular causes such as muscle sprain, nerve impingement, injuries to muscles/ ligaments etc inflammations, fractures/ dislocations, referred pain from other regions, micronutrient deficiencies etc. I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.