Orthopedics Community

Shoulder injury

Last January I injured my shoulder while weight lifting. I was doing an incline dumbell press when I lost balance in my left arm. My arm bent backwards and I felt a weird jolt in my shoulder, almost like electricity. For several days I would feel pain just lifting my hands above shoulder level. I went to an orthopedist who told me it was probably just tendonitis and that I should come back in five to six weeks if there was still pain. Six weeks later I returned and got the same response. Eventually fed up, I went to another orthopedist who, while maintaining the same diagnosis, gave me a lidocaine/cortisone injection and began physical therapy with me. I went to physical therapy twice a week during the summer. The PT consisted mostly of upper back and shoulder massages and stretches with a resistance band that I did at home. Since some pain still remained, the orthopedist ordered an MRI. The MRI showed four problems: mild supraspinatus tendinosis, type III acromion, mild thickening of the subacromial bursa, and a tear through the inferior and posterior inferior labrum. To this day I have mild pain performing certain movements, specifically turning my left hand so that my palm faces away from me, and in this position, moving my arm across my chest. I also feel more intense pain in my left shoulder that lasts a couple days after doing exercises involving the shoulder such as dumbell press, military press, dips, etc.

Is there anything I can do to alleviate this pain, or any problem that might not have been picked up by the MRI? My doctor said I should keep exercising, especially building up rotator cuff strength, to stabilize my shoulder and prevent this from happening again, but I would like to find something else as well. I've had pain for about 9 months now and OTCs like Advil don't do anything to lessen it.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.