Orthopedics Community

Strange lumps below kneecap NOT osgood schlatter

I have been having left knee pain.  I have mild osteoarthritis in this knee.  Below the knee cap towards the inside I have been getting a lump that gets bigger with activity.  I also get burning pain when it gets bigger.  Now it is like a thick line about a inch or so long starting in he same spot and going down.  What is this?
Hi there!  

Well, without an evaluation it would be difficult to identify the cause of knee pain in your case. Aside aggravation of the arthritis, other possibilities include chondromalacia, tendonitis, bursitis, fractures, patellar dislocation, injuries to the internal knee ligaments/ menisci, infections/ inflammations, arthritis, cyst formation, bone growths/ tumours, nerve injuries etc; just to name a few. The swelling could be due to knee effusion or due to bursitis. I would suggest consulting an orthopedician for an evaluation and appropriate management. Meanwhile you may try resting the knee with some OTC NSAIDS to relieve the pain.  
Hope this helps.  

Take care!  
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.