Orthopedics Community

Stress Fracture?

Hi Folks,

For the past few weeks the top of my right foot has been hurting.  Not real bad but more of a bruised feeling.  I find that if I put the brunt of my weight on my heel when I walk that tempers the discomfort.  Everything I have read points to a stress fracture.  The thing is though, the “injury” did not occur due to an exercise related event.  In fact, I do not workout at all, though I do walk a lot at work and bend the foot in question a lot when kneeling down.  I have been placing an icepack on the foot daily for about 30 minutes three times per day.  I can still walk on it, even briskly if needed but the discomfort is beginning to irritate me as it does not appear to be getting any better.  I do not want to wear a boot or be on crutches—so I am hoping this goes away on its own.  Nor do I want to end up having surgery due to being unnecessarily stubborn.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  I am a 41-year old male.

Regards,
Hi there!

Well, without a detailed clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. Possible causes that may need to be considered include fractures, injuries to ligaments/ tendons, inflammations, degeneration, neuro-muscular/ vascular issues  etc. Without a definite diagnosis at hand it is difficult to suggest a management plan. I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. Meanwhile I would recommend avoiding weight bearing/ stress on the foot.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.