Orthopedics Community

Stress Fracture

Eight months ago I had an accident at work where a step-ladder I was on tipped over.  I injured my left ankle and went to the doctor two days later.  He said I probably tore a ligament and put me in a boot for four weeks.  I continued having pain and have tingling in my ankle and foot and returned to the doctor a month ago.  He refrered me to another doctor who ordered a bone scan.  The bone scan shows I have a stress fracture.  My doctor is sending me to therapy and keeps telling me that activity is good for this injury but I have severe pain and the tingling is getting worse.  13 years ago I broke the fibula in my left leg.  Every doctor I've seen has said that healed well and wasn't an issue.  I am just confused because when I broke my leg they told me to stay off of it.  Why wouldn't they at least limit my activity for a stress facture?  Wouldn't eight months be enough activity to decide that it wasn't working?
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.