Orthopedics Community

Synvisc

I have a problem with my right knee and I probably have aggravated the problem by playing a lot of tennis. I have tried Glucosamine with Chondroitin and MSN for over 6 months with no improvement. I was given a steroid injection which helped for about 2 days. Thing of trying Synvisc or Durolane. Any suggestions other than a knee replacement?
Hello swipper,

Hyaluronan, the name of the substance in Synvisc, is secreted by cells in the cartilage of joints. Hyaluronan is one of the major molecular components of joint fluid, and it gives the joint fluid, also called synovial fluid, its viscous, slippery quality. The high viscosity of synovial fluid allows for the cartilage surfaces of joints to glide upon each other in a smooth fashion. By injecting Synvisc in a knee, some people consider this a so-called joint lubrication. This is why you may hear of Syvisc as a 'motor oil' for the knee joint
Numerous studies have been performed in the past decade to assess the effectiveness of Synvisc as a treatment for osteoarthritis. However, no clear understanding of how well Synvisc injections perform has emerged. Early studies of Synvisc were performed on too few patients and the follow-up period was limited to a short time. Some studies showed a benefit of Synvisc injections, primarily in reduction of pain.
Refer http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/treatment/a/synvisc.htm

Best
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.