Three knee replacements still having problems

I have had my left knee replaced three times. The first 7-2005 came loose. The second was done 8-2006 came loose plus many other problems.The third replacement was 7-2007 by a different surgeon. The surgeon told me that the second replacement was done wrong. He told me it was malrotated, misaligned, cracked tibia, that i was knocked kneed and it was loose. He also told me the other surgeon had made another mistake and tried to fix it by filling the gap with extra cement glue.I think thats where he said there is missing bone. After the surgery he told me that there was missing bone, the ligaments were stretched, and that the other surgeon tried to fit the replacement in an incision that was to small.
I did okay after surgery for about 2 months. My knee pops all the time, sometimes loud enough you can hear it. The pain is below the knee cap on the left and right side and ontop of the knee cap on the right side and on the inside of the knee from above the knee to below the knee. For the last week and a half I've been getting sharp pains on the right inside of the knee and above the knee while walking or turning from right to left. When this happens the pain is so bad that I can hardly walk. I've also been getting needle type pain below the knee cap in the center. On the backside of my knee on the right and left side it hurt. When I step to the left the top of my foot even hurts know. The swelling in my knee is getting worse as much a 2 inches.  My knee feels unstable. I just saw my doctor Jan 14 and he says the knee replacement feels solid and to come back, in 3 months. He seems to be puzzled by the problems I'm still having. I'm not going to wait 3 months I have an appointment Wednesday since the problems are getting worse.Could you give me some ideas as to what might be going on.
Since the ligaments were stretched will the ever tighten back up. I was told no. Also could they be causing some of my problems.
Sorry this is so long but I'm at wits end as what to do.

Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Stretched ligaments can cause all kinds of problems....pain for one, popping and locking of the joint......I'm thinking that;s why your Dr. wants to wait to see you....to see if maybe the ligaments heal......If you don't get answers that you want, demand an MRI of the knee...it'll give them a better picture of what's going on..
Helpful - 0
Helpful - 0
How are you feeling?
Pain at the joint line is the result of a collateral ligament or meniscus problem (or both) until proven otherwise.
Your symptom of popping of knee every time suggests that you have some ligament injury.
I think if you are meeting up with an orthopaedician you should be asking him regarding swelling too as there might be some inflammatory process going on in knee and also about physiotherapy.
Do you feel giving away of your knee while walking?
I think you are getting it right about the ligament injury in your subsequent post.
Keep me informed if you have any queries.
Bye.
Helpful - 0
How are you feeling?
Bye.
Helpful - 0
The first orthopedic I went to was a quack and did a number on my knee.
When my new doctor did my revision. He told me it was going to take time for things to settle down. Because he had alot damage to clean up from the first doctors mess. I'm not sure of what you call it but the new revision has long extension going up my leg and down my leg in order to stabalize it.
I saw my orthopedic two weeks ago he asked me if something felt like it's being pinched. I really wasn't sure. Why would he ask a question like that.I think he wants me to go to aquatic therapy. But he knows we live 30 miles from the closest one. He also thought a brace might help. He asked me what I thought he should do. I told him I don't know. He didn't say anything about the ligaments causing these problems. But he was really busy that day and I forgot to ask.
I do have alot of pain along the joint line and it does feel like it is giving while walking.
I've been so afraid of it coming loose again. He keeps telling me he has it in there solid.
I'll be seeing him tomorrow and I'm going to ask him about the ligaments. Also going to give in and get the brace and do the aquatics.
Thinking maybe the brace will keep me from aggervating what ever is going on. Plus the aquatics will strengthen it.
He is trying to keep cost down because he knows money is tight for us. It's a long story but the short of it. My husband is on SSDI because of the first doctor. I can't work either now. Don't have enough work credits to get SSDI make to much to get SSI. I no longer have health insurance. I  have to be determined by the state disabled in order to get a medical card. We go through this every 6 months and have to meet a spend down of 870.00 a month to get a card good for only one month.
Helpful - 0
How are you feeling?
I am sorry this post was meant for you and hence I am copying this and re-posting it.
Bye.
Helpful - 0
How are you feeling?
Bye.
Helpful - 0
This response is for your post dated Jan29th.
As grinding is characteristic of osteoarthritis; as locking and catching are characteristic of meniscus injuries and osteochondritis dissecans (meniscus injuries are much more common than osteochondritis dissecans); similarly giving way is more characteristic of ligamentous injuries.
I am sorry to hear about your problems, but we need to see how best we can utilize the available resources.
You need to determine what kind of ligament is involved and decide upon the intervention accordingly.
I think initially X-rays, including antero-posterior (AP), lateral, and sunrise views, are taken to rule out fracture.
Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) may be ordered to better delineate the injury.
Treatment options include Bracing, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), and physical therapy emphasizing strengthening and stretching the quadriceps and hamstrings, is first-line treatment.
Depending on the extent of injury, surgical reconstruction may be necessary.
Bye.
Helpful - 0
HI
Saw the orthopedic he said he's not going to do any surgeries on that knee. He said my problem is right under the knee cap. He said Aleeve would be good. I have to stay away from Ibuprophins, tylenol or thing similar the cause my liver enzymes to go up. He wants to get the left knee healthy before doing to much to the other. He also gave an injection in the knee. After the injection yestarday the right knee does feel some better.
The left knee that had the 3 tkr's has all kinds of problems one good thing it is solid and not loose. He's not exactly sure as to what is going on. He did say that the ligaments probably is causing alot of the problem plus there is alot soft tissue damage. We're not doing the brace at this point. I am going to do the aquatics but on my own. I think it only cost 5.00 to use the pool at theY compared to 175. an hrfor therapy. I already know what I'm suppose to do from going before for other things. There are therapist there if I need them. He wants me to give the replacement more time to heal. He said it just going to take time since there was so much damage from the other doctor. He'll see me back in 2 months.
s
Helpful - 0
I am feeling relieved and happy that you as a patient are so confident about your condition.
I mean you are aware of your condition thoroughly. With this I believe half of the battle is won already.
I think if you can do physiotherapy on your own, that would strengthen your ligaments and over some period of time you would find the difference.
I agree with your doctor in suggesting that it would take some time to heal.
You can take help of pain killers and other medication to help you get over the pain.
Bye.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Orthopedics Community

Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.