Orthopedics Community

Three knee replacements still having problems

I have had my left knee replaced three times. The first 7-2005 came loose. The second was done 8-2006 came loose plus many other problems.The third replacement was 7-2007 by a different surgeon. The surgeon told me that the second replacement was done wrong. He told me it was malrotated, misaligned, cracked tibia, that i was knocked kneed and it was loose. He also told me the other surgeon had made another mistake and tried to fix it by filling the gap with extra cement glue.I think thats where he said there is missing bone. After the surgery he told me that there was missing bone, the ligaments were stretched, and that the other surgeon tried to fit the replacement in an incision that was to small.
I did okay after surgery for about 2 months. My knee pops all the time, sometimes loud enough you can hear it. The pain is below the knee cap on the left and right side and ontop of the knee cap on the right side and on the inside of the knee from above the knee to below the knee. For the last week and a half I've been getting sharp pains on the right inside of the knee and above the knee while walking or turning from right to left. When this happens the pain is so bad that I can hardly walk. I've also been getting needle type pain below the knee cap in the center. On the backside of my knee on the right and left side it hurt. When I step to the left the top of my foot even hurts know. The swelling in my knee is getting worse as much a 2 inches.  My knee feels unstable. I just saw my doctor Jan 14 and he says the knee replacement feels solid and to come back, in 3 months. He seems to be puzzled by the problems I'm still having. I'm not going to wait 3 months I have an appointment Wednesday since the problems are getting worse.Could you give me some ideas as to what might be going on.
Since the ligaments were stretched will the ever tighten back up. I was told no. Also could they be causing some of my problems.
Sorry this is so long but I'm at wits end as what to do.

Stretched ligaments can cause all kinds of problems....pain for one, popping and locking of the joint......I'm thinking that;s why your Dr. wants to wait to see you....to see if maybe the ligaments heal......If you don't get answers that you want, demand an MRI of the knee...it'll give them a better picture of what's going on..
How are you feeling?
Pain at the joint line is the result of a collateral ligament or meniscus problem (or both) until proven otherwise.
Your symptom of popping of knee every time suggests that you have some ligament injury.
I think if you are meeting up with an orthopaedician you should be asking him regarding swelling too as there might be some inflammatory process going on in knee and also about physiotherapy.
Do you feel giving away of your knee while walking?
I think you are getting it right about the ligament injury in your subsequent post.
Keep me informed if you have any queries.
Bye.
How are you feeling?
Bye.
The first orthopedic I went to was a quack and did a number on my knee.
When my new doctor did my revision. He told me it was going to take time for things to settle down. Because he had alot damage to clean up from the first doctors mess. I'm not sure of what you call it but the new revision has long extension going up my leg and down my leg in order to stabalize it.
I saw my orthopedic two weeks ago he asked me if something felt like it's being pinched. I really wasn't sure. Why would he ask a question like that.I think he wants me to go to aquatic therapy. But he knows we live 30 miles from the closest one. He also thought a brace might help. He asked me what I thought he should do. I told him I don't know. He didn't say anything about the ligaments causing these problems. But he was really busy that day and I forgot to ask.
I do have alot of pain along the joint line and it does feel like it is giving while walking.
I've been so afraid of it coming loose again. He keeps telling me he has it in there solid.
I'll be seeing him tomorrow and I'm going to ask him about the ligaments. Also going to give in and get the brace and do the aquatics.
Thinking maybe the brace will keep me from aggervating what ever is going on. Plus the aquatics will strengthen it.
He is trying to keep cost down because he knows money is tight for us. It's a long story but the short of it. My husband is on SSDI because of the first doctor. I can't work either now. Don't have enough work credits to get SSDI make to much to get SSI. I no longer have health insurance. I  have to be determined by the state disabled in order to get a medical card. We go through this every 6 months and have to meet a spend down of 870.00 a month to get a card good for only one month.
How are you feeling?
I am sorry this post was meant for you and hence I am copying this and re-posting it.
Bye.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.