Orthopedics Community

Urgent Help required

Can I get an advice on the following MRI impression of my 58 years/82 kg mother? She is on bed since last 2 months

1) marrow edema involving L4 and L5 vertebral bodies with end plate irregularity and edema with fluid signals in intervening disk with paraspinal soft tissues and psoas muscles edema at L4-L5 level
----- Infective/inflammatory spondylodiskitis is likely

2) marrow edema involving the left iliac bone and sacrum in juxta-articular region with fluid signals in left S.I. joint
----- Infective/inflammatory sacroiliitis

3) Diffuse disk bulge of L4-L5 disk causing severe pressure effect on bilateral exiting nerve roots
How is your mother feeling?
I think she is having back pain. Low back pain, the most common musculoskeletal condition, is responsible for the loss of 17 million work days per year in the United States and ~$60 billion of the annual U.S. health care budget.
I think her symptoms would be Low back discomfort/pain, Stiffness and Numbness.
Her signs would be Paravertebral muscle spasm, Motor weakness, Loss of deep tendon reflexes, Loss of sensation, Clonus and Positive Babinski sign.
Most patients with low back pain can be treated non-operatively with short-term bed rest in the supine position, NSAIDs, and physical therapy to improve muscle strength of the lower back.
Surgical treatment is rare: Only 1 to 2% of back pain sufferers are candidates.
Prolonged bed rest is not beneficial; the patient may have 2 to 3 days of bed rest after the incident of back pain.
During the initial period of severe spasm and pain (usually 2 to 7 days), patients may have restricted mobility.
If plain radiographs are normal, patients should be mobilized progressively with physical therapy and aerobic conditioning.
Keep me informed if you have any queries.
Bye.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.