Orthopedics Community

Very Painful Pea sized lump near ankle on back of foot.

Hello, I am writing about this specifically because I do not have health insurance and I don't qualify for state assistance. The problem I am having is with my left foot. Inbetween the heel and top of the ankle is a pea sized lump. It's VERY tender to the touch. I can feel it throbbing at times if I have been moving or standing a lot. It hurts to stand and walk on this foot. I have been trying to do the heel to toe method, but it's nearly impossible. I end up walking on my tip toes with this foot. It's very painful on a scale of 1-10 it's a 9.9 A nurse I work with thinks it's a sprain but I don't recall doing anything that would cause a sprain. The area around the lump is tender but not swollen. Any ideas of what this is and or home remedies until I can see a doctor?
Hi!
A localized ankle swelling can be cyst, a hematoma, localized collection of fluid, a varicose vein causing venous pooling, an ulcer due to friction from foot wear, arthritis or due to infection (boil). It can also be a lipoma or a neurofibromas (collection of nerves and fibrous tissue). Since it is painful it can be an infected cyst, a boil, a neurofibroma or an ulcer due to friction. You can take an anti-inflammatory pain killer and apply an antibiotic ointment. However, you need to consult a doctor. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.