Orthopedics Community

acl knee surgery

I am 42 years old and very active.  I run and workout 5 times a week.  I tore my acl snowskiing.  I am scheduled for a cadavar graft in a few weeks.  I have spoken to many people who have had this problem.  I get many diffierent responses to my questions even my doctor.  What happens to my knee years down the road if I do not have the reconstruction?,  I am at around 90% now.  I have a few issues, but I think I can live with them.  Will I do more damage to myself down the road if I don't have surgery?  Help please.

Thanks,

Chiassonboys
Hello Dear
The key to successful treatment of the ACL tear is proper and early rehabilitation. Preoperative and postoperative rehabilitation programs are similar initially. Restoration of motion, swelling control, and strength are the goals of each. The primary goals in treatment of ACL rupture are restoration of function in the short term and prevention of long-term pathologic changes in the knee. Nonoperative treatment is a reasonable approach in patients who are not active athletically.. Current research demonstrates that the natural history of untreated complete injuries of the ACL consists of progression of symptomatic instability to recurrent injuries. These injuries damage the menisci and the articular cartilage, eventually leading to osteoarthritis and osteoarthrosis.
(Refer: http://www.emedicine.com/pmr/topic3.htm#section~Treatment)

Best
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.