avulsion fracture of posterior cruciate ligament

Hai , myself selva from Bangalore. I year back I met an motor cycle and the right leg is caught between the ground and vehicle. After that I was unable to flex my right knee due to pain but I could manage to walk. Upon x ray and MRI scan it was diagnosed as avulsion fracture of posterior cruciate ligament and the fraction bed was 0.1mm. I was applied with POP bandage over the right leg (no surgery done) and advised bed rest. After the treatment period stepping up and down on stair case was difficult for me and slowly felt crepitating noise from the same knee. I was advised with some physiotherapy exercise and the physiotherapist told that the noise in knee was due to weakening of knee muscles. But even after one year the noise in the knee and pain was not reduced. Noise and pain especially while raising the leg in sitting position and considerably less during waling. Now the normal left knee is also started pain. Please let me know the noise and pain the affected knee is sign for arthritis? How I can proceed further for treatment
Best Answer
Hi there!

The posterior cruciate ligament, prevents the tibia (shin bone) from sliding too far backwards, thus providing stability to the knee joint. While most PCL tears are treated conservatively, with immobilization, non weight bearing, anti-inflammatory medications and physiotherapy; surgical reconstruction is reserved for severe cases where several ligaments are damaged in the knee or in complete tears. You also talk about an avulsion fracture and I am not sure about the extent/ severity of and the associated injuries in your case and the healing. Crepitus does not occur due to weak muscles. Without an evaluation it would be difficult to say what could be the cause of your symptoms. It could be unhealed fractures, loose bodies, growths, tendon rupture, inflammation/ arthritis etc. It would be best to consult an orthopedician for this. An evaluation may consist of a complete physical examination and a few tests such as routine blood tests, imaging studies like CT/ MRI etc. After a cause to your symptoms is diagnosed, a management plan can be chalked out accordingly.
Hope this helps.

Take care!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Dear Dr. Kaul,

Thanks for your detailed response. I have consulted two orthopedician, both of them advised biceps excercise (MRI not done). I will consult another Dr. and will get the tests, scans as you advised.

Thanks a lot
Regards,
Selva
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Orthopedics Community

Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.