Orthopedics Community

chronic pain moving

Hello: I have been experiencing a high level of pain when climbing stairs..during gentle yoga exercise while moving from laying position to stand up, especially in my lower back. Moving my arms up and down the wall in various positions, any type of squat. I have a history of osteoarthritis in my knees and had the scope done in past with no luck. My pain at times is maddening and unbearable and is progressively getting worse. I am now scheduled for an MRI from the neurologist dept. I am 57 years old and have had radiation for larynx in situ cancer 9 years ago...lots of it. Question: Since no one seems to know what is going on, I somehow get the suspicion that radiation could have damaged my bones/muscles to create this pain. Has any research been done on this? Thank you
Hi there!

Well, without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. Possibilities that may need to be considered include postural issues, neuro-muscular causes such as muscle sprain, nerve impingement, injuries to muscles/ ligaments etc inflammations, fractures/ dislocations, bone bruise, referred pain from other regions, micronutrient deficiencies etc. I would suggest getting this evaluated by a primary care physician initially and depending on the cause diagnosed/ suspected, it can be managed accordingly or specialist care may be sought.  
Hope this is helpful.  

Take care!  
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.