Orthopedics Community

clavical bone lump

I have had a small, hard,left clavical bone lump for years and never bothered me.  Recently, it started to become uncofortable and painful to the touch and has grown bigger and has gotten red.  It isnt real hard, feels like a cyst but doesnt move.  Since the sudden change, i have developed a case of "really bad stiff, sore, achy, neck as if you slept on it wrong and has not gone away.  I also now have a cough.  Feels tight in throat/neck area.  There are other tiny, mild, "play it off due to other reasons or unexplained odd" symptoms that I have had that now concern me as to whether it all is related or not.  Father passed of leukemia and mother has had thyroid cancer.  mother side has had tuberculosis and a death from throat cancer.  I dont wanna go to dr unneccesarily but could cancer be a possibility?
Hi there!

Well, it would be difficult to determine the cause of the lump without a detailed clinical evaluation. Possibilities that may need to be considered include cysts, lymphnodes, growths from the bone or surrounding soft tissue structures etc. Though malignancy is a less likely possibility if the mass has been present for sometime without increase in size, it may still need to be ruled out. I would suggest considering an initial evaluation by a primary care physician and depending on the cause diagnosed/ suspected, it can be managed accordingly or specialist care may be sought.
Hope this helps.

Take care!
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.