Orthopedics Community

do i need surgery?

Hello. I'm a 27 years old student with a history of recurrent patella dislocations in both knees. I was just recently diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my right knee. My left knee seems fairly ok because i haven't had any dislocation on it for a while. I've had several subluxation in my other knee, about 5 last year year, which had a doctor worried about my right knee after i got an MRI done. Last year, he told me that i should get surgery because i could get arthritis. Now that i have arthritis, I'm beginning to think he is right....maybe i do need surgery. Ever since i moved to Beijing for my masters, my knee started getting swollen after walking around too much. I didn't even have any subluxations and it started swelling just because I've been having a lot of activities which i normally didn't have before.  I couldn't walk around much without pain so i was prescribed anti-inflammation  pacthes to be put on my right knee and glucosamine sulfate. I had an another MRI done of which the doctor said that my cartilage was wearing off because of how my patella is higher than normal. I don't exercise much at all so because of that my quadricep muscles are weak and cannot support my patella. The doctor recommended athroscopic surgery so now i just don't know what to do. I don't have insurance anymore since i graduated from university. This university I'm in right now doesn't really a good insurance plan, it's only for accidental events. Pls pls give me some advice, I'm just so confused and frustrated!!!!
Hi there!

Well, without knowing the relevant clinical details or a detailed clinical evaluation it would be difficult to comment specifically on the situation. Surgery may be advisable with recurrent dislocation for fear of degenerative arthritis. You could try discussing the situation with your college medical services department if there could be a way to fund the surgery. Though highly advisable; in situations if it does not workout in the near future, I would recommend seeing a physiotherapist to strengthen the muscles around the knee joint. This may help decelerate the degenerative process, improve muscle strength/ mobility and result in symptomatic improvement.
Hope this is helpful.

Take cate!
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.