Orthopedics Community

heel spur and stress fracture

I AM A 38 YEAR OLD FEMALE.  I HAVE BEEN HAVING ALOT OF PAIN IN MY FOOT (HEEL AREA). I WENT TO THE DOCTOR. SHE SAID IT WAS A SPUR. SHE GIVE ME VOLTAREN GEL FOR THE PAIN AND SENT ME FOR A X-RAY. THE X-RAY RESULTS:

There is distal Achilles enthesophyte formation on the calcaneus. There is a linear anterior calcaneal spur observed which measures 12 mm in length. Also seen on the AP image is linear sclerosis in the calcaneal body, which could reflect early changes from a stress fracture of the calcaneus. Correlation of these findings with MR imaging of the left/ankle could be considered both to evaluate the plantar fascia and to exclude bone marrow signal alteration which would be compatible with a calcaneal stress fracture, based on the patient's symptomatology. No acute or displaced calcaneal fracture or talar fracture is seen. There is a prominent os trigonum observed. No aggressive or destructive lytic bony lesion is evident. There is no evidence for an erosive or inflammatory arthritis. No radiopaque foreign body seen.

I am still in alot of pain. I am on my feet about 12 to 13 hours a day at work. I have tried the Voltaren Gel, NSAIDs, and Tylenol #3 which does not seem to help. The doctor was suppose to set up me an Orthopedic appointment but it has been 2 weeks. What advice can you give me and what do you think is causing me the pain? It hurts alot when I am in bed and first get up or bump it.

Thanks, Rebecca
Hey Rebecca!

Well, actually though a spur is evident it could be more than a spur such as a stress fracture or sift tissue injury which would need to be correlated with further investigations. I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. Meanwhile I would advice resting the foot and avoiding putting weight on it. Ice-packs/ warm compresses and tylenol/ OTC NSAIDS may be helpful for pain relief.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.