Orthopedics Community

knee and hip pain.

i am a competitive bodybuider...starting to get ready for contest in April...that is why I am writing. I have knee pain associated with both knees...but more on my right. Ironically....it seems to be in correspondence with hip pain as well on my right hip. the pain is above my knee cap...not muscular...and hurts mostly between and 90-120% angles when I extend my knee out. I have no idea why it corresponds with hip pain as well. Both knees also feel like there is no lubrication in the joint...for if I sit in sams position for a long period of time...both knees start and ache!

I also am flat footed...I am wondering if this can have anything to do with it. Please help...I want this to not block me from my goals. I am 35 and about 215 pounds at 5'8" but mostly muscle.

appreciate your help
Hi Rukester,
Is that your name? How old are you? Since when are you appreciating these symptoms?
Pain at the level above knee cap can be due to Patello-femoral disorder. When did your pain begin, what were you doing at the time, and what were the initial symptoms? Do you experience any grinding, locking, catching, or giving way of the knee? Grinding is characteristic of osteoarthritis; locking and catching are characteristic of meniscus injuries and osteochondritis dissecans (meniscus injuries are much more common than osteochondritis dissecans); and giving way is more characteristic of ligamentous injuries.
Are there any positions that make your knee more or less comfortable?
Have you tried anything to help the pain and, if yes, has that been successful?
The most important thing about your pain is that your hips are also affected which suggest that you might have some hip joint disorder.
I would be interested to know the answers.
I would like you to visit an orthopaedician and get an imaging study done for your hips and knees.
Keep me informed.
Bye.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.