Orthopedics Community

knee injury

I am a member of the roller derby.  About 2 weeks ago I fell on my knee and impacted the lateral aspect of my knee just below the patella.  I have considerable swelling a pain, bruising down my shin and just below my ankle.  I don't have insurance right now and I have only had access to a GP who diagnosed bursitis, put me on Naproxen 500mg b.i.d. and told me to keep a compression wrap on my knee.  The lump has gone down some but is still hard and tender to the touch. I am very concerned that there may be more to this scenario than just bursitis. Could you give me suggestions on what some alternative diagnoses might be? Should I go through the ER in order to access an Orthopedic physician?
Thanks!
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.