Orthopedics Community

meniscus surgery

Knee brace or no brace???? I had a large horizontal medial meniscus tear that went from the posterior horn to the body. They did a partial meniscectomy and said I had a little arthritis as well. I just had this done a week ago. Seem to be doing ok for the most part or I guess as expected for being 41 years old. I don't play sports other than backyard activities with my sons. I do however drag race and its a stick car. Naturally its my clutch leg that was operated on. I tore my meniscus bending down to get under the race car to work on it. I put surgery off and dealt with pain off and on for a year. Aggressively power shifting a race car 30 times on average every weekend for 8 months didn't help my knee either. So I am naturally paranoid of injuring this knee again once recovered. Racing starts again in February. Is there a knee brace out there that can help prevent another meniscus injury to my knee that I could wear while working on car and while racing? Is this a crazy thing to even ask my orthopedic when I see him for my post op appointment next week? Or is there nothing out there except an ace wrap which is what I am currently using since day of surgery last week. Any help would be great. Thank you
Hi!
I do appreciate your concerns, but knee braces are going to make it difficult to use clutch and breaks. Also, it may not be advisable to take up car racing after surgery. However, please discuss this with your specialist at your next appointment. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.