Orthopedics Community

peculiar knee pain

When I kneel on my left knee I get a sharp pain below and left of my patella, as if kneeling on a tack. Pressing on it or walking or bending or running does not trigger the pain, only when kneeling.
What can it be?
How are you feeling? How old are you? What is your name?
When any patient complains of “knee pain,” the initial differential diagnosis in most of the cases includes: Osteoarthritis, Ligament damage, Meniscus damage or Patello-femoral disorder.
You have mentioned that you have pain on kneeling down that is in extreme flexion. This suggests that it might be due to either meniscus injury or due Patello-femoral disorder.
The location of pain says that it might be due to meniscus problem.
When did your pain begin, what were you doing at the time, and what were the initial symptoms?
Do you experience any grinding, locking, catching, or giving way of the knee?
Are there any positions that make your knee more or less comfortable?
What is the quality of your pain (sharp, shooting, dull, etc.)?
Have you tried anything to help the pain and, if yes, has that been successful?
Have you ever had surgery on your knee? Do you have any hip or ankle pain?
Keep me informed.
Bye.
I'm 52 years old. I broke my patella about 6 years ago. Now when ever I'm standing it feels like something is crawling on me
I am feeling fine. How are you? And who are you?
I am 54. My name is Kendra.
I do not experience any grinding, locking, catching or giving way of the knee.
There are no positions that make my knee uncomfortable other then putting my weight on it while kneeling. It feels totally normal otherwise. The pain is as if I knelt on a sharp rock or tack or even as if my bone is splintered. It began a couple of weeks ago while kneeling.
I have not tried anything to help the pain other then not kneeling on it.
Never had surgery. No hip pain or ankle pain.
I have this exact problem and googled it and ended up here.  Whatever happened with it?
Hi Kendra,
I am fine, thank you. I am physician.
Grinding is characteristic of osteoarthritis; locking and catching are characteristic of meniscus injuries and osteochondritis dissecans (meniscus injuries are much more common than osteochondritis dissecans); and giving way is more characteristic of ligamentous injuries.
You don't have any of these symptoms which signify you are not having advanced stage of disease.
You don't have hip pain or knee pain that rules out any nerve involvement.
I think it might be due to result of a collateral ligament or meniscus problem (or both) until proven otherwise.
I recommend you to see an orthopaedician at earliest and get imaging studies done for further evaluation.
X-rays study including AP weight-bearing, AP in 45° extension, lateral, and sunrise views. MRI should also be obtained to better evaluate the extent of injury. Arthroscopy is the gold standard diagnostic tool for meniscal tears but may not be necessary.
Treatment plan could be like small tears may be treated conservatively with rest, ice, bracing, and physical therapy. Larger tears and tears in patients who are competitive athletes and wish to return to competitive sport may require surgery.
Hope this helps you.
Keep me informed if you have any queries.
Bye.
Hi, i have a similar problem and have been doing a bit of reading. a few weeks ago I was kneeling on some timber decking for most of the day doing some construction work at home. I didnt notice anything unusual. a few weeks later I am now experiencing severe burning to the side of my right knee but only when kneeling. From what i have read it appears to be nerve damage as a result of kneeling on a hard surface for a long time. It supposedly will go away on its own but may take some time, poss months.
Andrew
I have a similar condition.  Sharp pain, almost feel like something is tearing when I kneel. Otherwise I am fine walking, standing, exercising, even doing leg extensions with my regular weights.  The worst position is "child's pose" in Yoga.  Do you think acupuncture might help? Thanks J.
I get the same in the right knee. If I kneel full weight on the knee it feels as if i've knelt on a sharp flint. Really thought I'd done just that the first time it happened. Pain is intense as long as I keep weight on it. Localised below and to right of patella. I can't trigger the pain by running or by moving the joint in any way although the area is slightly tender if I press it hard. There is no lump or indication of any foreign body under the skin. I'll post the diagnosis if I get any joy from the NHS. Kenny make sure to do the same if you find out what it is.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.