Orthopedics Community

rsd-carpal tunnel

I've been recently diagnosed with reflex sympathetic dystrophy..rsd...apparently unk now at the time , I had this before my carpal tunnel surgery.. would the surgery worsen the rsd? Rsd is in both hands...I had emg done, so I definitely had carpal tunnel. My orthopedic surgeon noticed the pain, swelling, reddness and warmth in both hands when I started seeing him, approx. 4 months before the ct surgery. He told me it was unrelated to carpal tunnel..but went ahead with surgery. I am currently seeing a pain management specialist to help with the rsd...any input on this would be appreciated...Thank you
Hello Dear,
Injury,surgery, infection and trauma to nerves can cause reflex sympathetic dystrophy.There can be aggravation of symptoms due to surgical procedures.You should consult a physiotherapist and an occupational therapist
It will help regain function and reduce discomfort.Local anaesthetics, tourniquet also help relieving pain.
Best
Thanks for your reply...  unfortunately my orth.since I talked to his assistant hasn't wanted to communicate with me  at all since I let them know about rsd...i'm seeing a dr. who specialized in pain management, and rsd. I've found alot of dr's have no experience and extrememly limited knowledge of rsd..which is unfortunate. I've been told if caught early ( which it generally isn't)  is much more easily treatable. I had injections in both wrists,before ct surgery- which didn't help..along with after surgery 2 courses of prednisone and a stellate nerve block..currently taking neurotin (sp?), vicodin and volatren gel for my hands. Now on course for spinal cord stim....
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.