Orthopedics Community

spiral fx 5th metatarsal advice

I fell about six days ago and sustained a spiral fracture of my 5th metatarsal of my right foot.  The pain is excruciating, but I don't have a lot of swelling.  X-rays reveal an oblique fracture with complete separation.  The fracture itself is about 2 inches long, with aprox .5 cm space between.  The ends of the fracture are very pointy, and would explain the sensation of razor blades cutting the inside of my foot.  I was seen in the ER, and followed up with an orthopedic specialist who said that he hoped it would grow back together on it's own, and gave me a very rigid, large "boot" to wear, and told me to only bear weight on my heel.  He also told me that the sharp points of my bones would "round out", and that it was normal for me to be feeling the "cutting" sensations in my foot.  I also complained of numbness in the last three toes, which is made worse by the "boot".  He advised me to see him again in 2 weeks, and he would x-ray again at that time, to determine my progress in healing.  I have no insurance, but I do have savings that would come close to covering the cost of surgery and subsequent treatment.  I don't think that my fracture is going to grow back together on it's own, and I'm worried that I will spend the rest of my life hobbling around on a bad foot!  Is the doctor's suggested treatment schedule appropriate?  I just get a gut feeling that he's treating me based on my lack of insurance.  Any comments or suggestions would be very much appreciated!
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.