Orthopedics Community

stress fractures

Hi, I'm 24, a former ballet dancer (stopped when I was 16) with a stress fracture in the second metatarsal of my right foot that has not healed after 3 years of treatment and a possible new stress fracture in my left foot from over compensating. Why is it that my feet aren't healing and keep fracturing? I don't do any strenuous exercising like running or jumping. I have had blood tests to rule out any diseases and vitamin deficiencies, and I am at a healthy weight of 140lb for my height 5'5. I don't know what else to do. I also suffer from arthritis in my right big toe, left knee and left hip. I keep falling apart and don't know whats wrong with me. Any ideas of whats wrong with me or any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Hello!

You have to rule out endocrine disorders and also rule out osteoporosis which can be the cause of your stress fractures.

If required start taking calcium and protein supplements.

You should wear comfortable food wear and if required go for custom orthotics to get releif from pain and also to help healing your stress fractures.

The blood supply is poor to your distant foot and this can be a reason for poor healing.

Follow up with a podiatrist.

Take care!
Thank you so much for the help! It's funny you mentioned endocrine disorder cause I suffer from hypothyroidism. Could that be one of the main causes for the lack of healing and if so would things like the calcium supplements work while being treated for the thyroid disorder?
Chronic stress fracures can develop if you return to too much activity and weight bearing too soon, but from what you describe you are no longer dancing. Read the info. regarding stress fractures below. It may give some insight.
I would recommend you see an orthopedic surgeon but assume you are doing so now.
Hang in there and be persistent with MD and nurses to get your questions fully answered.
http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00379
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.