Avatar universal

what does my treatment entail

I have had pain in my right knee under the knee cap.its gradually getting worse and kneeling or going up and downstairs(particularly going upstairs ) causes quite severe pain .it has given way at times as well.I've seen my doc who is sending me for physio and to see a specialist where she said he will probably have to perform a knee wash .does anyone know what might case this pain  is and what a knee wash is?
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Avatar universal
Thankyou yes your reply has helped.my doc did think it could be degeneration of the cartilage and I'm just waiting to be referred to a specialist thankyou again Dr jail.
Helpful - 0
1711789 tn?1361308007
Hi there!

Pain under the knee cap is usually caused by issues with the underlying cartilage (inflammation/ degeneration), or occasionally due to issues with internal knee structures, neuro-muscular issues etc. Without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to comment on the possible cause here. You doctor might be referring to a knee clean up, where degraded structures and/ or inflammatory residue is removed, that helps in better and faster healing. It would be best to discuss the details with your treating doctor.
Hope this helps.

Take care!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Orthopedics Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.