Ostomy Community
390 Members

Iliostomy reversal surgery

Hi. I am new to this forum and was wondering if anyone has had the above surgery? I had emergency full colectomy in December from severe c-diff and am now considering a reversal surgery. I was hoping to find some help weighing the pros and cons.
I have not had the surgery but I talked with my nurses today and we think that the best decision for me is to keep the ileostomy. I do not have a large intestine anymore and my quality of life has greatly improved because of it. I will not have the ability to hold anything once/if my ileostomy were to be reversed.

That would be my main concern.

There is tons of stuff on youtube! I would check out there too.
Thanks for your input. I had an appointment with a surgeon who said "you might have chronic diarrhea and maybe can't hold it but maybe not. He was pretty much useless and I Would not choose to see him if I were to go through with it. I was so bummed after hearing that and got a lot of anxiety and depression after. I had to stop researching for a while. None of my previous Drs mentioned this so I guess I have a lot to think about. It also took 6 months to heal from my 1st surgery so I'm not in a big hurry. I still have pain and am also trying to sleep again without meds. May I ask what your surgery was from? Also have you heard of a j pouch? I'm also just getting off sleep meds and now can't sleep anyway I'm not receiving much feed back and don't really know where else to look. I appreciate your suggestion of YouTube and I will definitely try there. Thank you! I hope all's well with you.
Hey there,

I know how frustrating it is and unfortunately because everyone is different the surgeons words make sense. I had to have surgery due to severe Ulcerative Colitis. Unfortunately my colon was ruptured during a sigmoidoscopy so I had to have emergency surgery as well.

I spoke to my nurses and doctors of a reversal as well but the risks of diarrhea and other complications has made me change my mind. I still have anxiety as well as a small amount of UC left and I would rather wait until my life is completely stable and my health is stable before I decide or make any decisions when it comes this surgery.

I have heard of the Jpouch and unfortunately i don't trust my body enough with that. I have a very over active immune system. They took my colon so now my immune system is going after my liver it seems. I never used to be the type to wait out on the side lines before something had proven itself to work and maintain a stable lifestyle. I have not met enough people who have went through a reversal for me to recommend it for myself or anyone else at this point.

Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem