Ovarian Cancer Community

Acupuncture as Concurrent OvCa Care

Hi Dr. Goodman:

I have been down nearly every road since dx Stage IIIc in 5/06: debulk surg with hyst, bowel resect. 6 cycles Cisplatin/Taxol IP/IV. Hydronephrosis and bilateral stents. Recurrence 1: debulk surgery, bowel resect and HIPEC (Dr. Goodman at Tufts!); 6 cycles Carbo/Gemzar. Recurrence 2: Sunitinib trial: nope. Doxil: nope. 6 cycles Carbo/Taxol. New mets in lungs. Avastin for maintenance: decreasing pelvic tumors, no effect on lung mets. Meeting with Phase 1 group at D-F on 3/1.

Short story long, what do you consider the benefits of acupuncture or other eastern medical treatments such as massage on the outcome/efficacy of more conventional medical protocols? I have heard both sides: it's great; it's wacky and a waste of time. I'm very interested in your opinion.

Thanks so much for your time and for contributing so much to this forum!

Sarah
oops, why didn't this post in Medical forum? sorry, all.
COMMUNITY LEADER
There is a limit to how many questions can be posted to the Dr's forum each day.  I believe it is two.  It is sometimes quite hard to be one of them, but keep trying.  

Welcome to our forum. Look forward to getting to know you!

Gail
COMMUNITY LEADER
A friend who still views the forum but no longer has an ID to log in and post sent a message and asked me to post this for her...

"Acupuncture is very good in helping with the side effects on the various treatments especially auricular acupuncture. Although, there are no conclusive scientific facts, there is alot of evidence to support that Acupuncture helps with pain and in theory it may be able boost the immune system."

Gail
Thanks for the info! I'm not having much pain, just some neuropathy in feet and hands. Acupuncture sounds luxurious and relaxing - might have to sign up for some!
COMMUNITY LEADER
I did a 10 part session of acupuncture a little more than a year ago for some knee pain.  Not sure if it actually helped the pain, but the sessions themselves were extrememly relaxing.  Each one lasted about 30-45 minutes.  My entire body felt heavy, like I couldn't move even if something was chasing me.  But it was the most comfortable feeling.  I think I slept through most of it.  The needles themselves didn't hurt at all.  Just a little *****, but it almost felt good.  Anyway, I agree...even if just for the relaxation, it's worth it.

Gail  
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.