Aa
A
A
A
Close
Ovarian Cancer Community
6.27k Members

Can period be delayed because of laparoscopy?

I had a laparoscopy/D&C almost 2 weeks ago on Friday, May 12.  My period was supposed to start the day after surgery and it is 11 days after that.  They did a pregnancy test the day of surgery and it was negative but I wasn't worried about that.  Can surgery delay your period?  They removed a little of endometriosis plus several cysts and some fibroids.  Just wondering if anyone knows.  Of course, I am 50 years old so maybe I am starting the change.  Thanks.
3 Responses
Hi Reba, I had a lap and D & C done last Thursday - and oh I wish it stopped mine (62 Days and going strong) I have had surgery in the past where it has delayed my period so I would say this could be what is going on.  If you dont mind, can I ask you a question - Did you bleed at all after the D & C??  I would assume that you wouldnt as the lining has been removed and if this is the case, I sure wish my Doctor would return my calls.  Take care ~ Kerrie
Mtgagirl - Thanks for the advice.  

Karie - I had very slight spotting for almost a week but it definitely wasn't a period.  The nurse said I might bleed after the surgery for 5 days or so.
I had a laparotomy to remove a grapefruit size dermoid on March 9.  Before surgery, my last period was at the beginning of Feb and it lasted 2 weeks.  I was very nervous because I didn't have a period immediately follwing my surgery.  I was relieved when I started the last full week of April, but I had to make a gyn appt b/c my cramps were SO HORRIFIC and the flow was very heavy!!!!  Dr said this was normal since I haven't had a period in 2 months.  I just had another period, and it seems to be back to normal.  So, I'd give it at least a month.
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.