Ovarian Cancer Community

Complex ovarian cyst.

My GYN has been following a cyst I have on my right ovary and just yesterday he did a follow-up vaginal ultrasound and said I have a complex ovarian cyst and ordered a CA-125.  This has been seen on a previous Ultrasound that was done just 8 weeks ago. I am 49 and the internet is scaring the heck out of me.  Does anyone have any advice or a similar story they could share. I know I shouldn't think anything until I get the lab result back if even then.   I have had so many abdominal problems. Just last Feb 2014 I had to have my left kidney removed and just this past March 27th had to have 4 hernias repaired, caused from the kidney surgery. Also I had a hysterectomy when I turned 40 due to benign peritoneal mesothelioma. He asks me if I have any symptoms like bloating or pain. Yes!
A woman has a 1.4% of ovarian cancer in a lifetime. The doctor is just being careful to do a ca125. I wish they had done one on me sooner. I have the BRCA mutation which increases the odds. Until the test comes back I would not worry. There are also false positives with the ca125. Other things can elevate it. I can;t say which way it will go. Lets hope for the best. Most of the scary stuff on the internet is not accurate. They have made great strides with OC in the last five years. If they catch OC early women can live along time. My doctors ignored my symptoms and ultra sounds for four years so I had a lot of cancer.

Alex
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.