Ovarian Cancer Community

Cyst?

I off and on, mostly on, have some type of bulge about the size of a quarter or two above my navel and it hurts to touch. Anyone ever had that type of symptom or know what it could be? I've scheduled an appt but it's not until April.
Sounds like a hernia.   These are usually repaired easily with surgery,  Pops out most likely when you are lifting something.  Could be a small part of your intestine coming through a small tear in your diaphram.  If it gets larger and does not disappear and you have pain then it needs to be looked at quickly.  The intestine can become strangulated and cause a major problem.  Good Luck.  Marty
How serious could this be? I have enough going on w/ fibromyalgia, insomia, anxiety...........now something else to my list. Now I'm nervous about my dr visit.
A strangulated hernia can be serious.  Avoid lifting and see if that helps the "lump" from appearing. Some people used to tape a silver dollar over their hernias to keep them in place. If you haven't had any problems with it so far, you probably will do fine till you visit the doctor.  I am not saying it is a hernia, just from your description it sounds like one.  I am a retired nurse hun, so was telling you what I think it is.
Sounds like a hernia to me too. Best way to find out is to lie on the floor and life your legs in the air. If the bulge is gone when you lie flat then pops out when you strain the muscles - lifting your leg - I would say its a hernia.

Its not serious at all but does require surgery.

Anna X
What type of surgery? Out patient or in patient? I read up on it last night and it does sould like what I have. I wonder what the recovery time is? Anyone know?
Most hernia repairs are done  in a very non invasive  manner. It is just a matter of placing the herniated material back into place and sutruring the rip. It has been some time since I scrubbed for a hernia repair and I know many advances have been made.  I would guess that it could be done out patient.  As with any surgery though you should take it easy for the required time  for healing.  
Everything is out patient these bloody days its ridiculous. My cousins wife had a baby couple of months ago and was sent home the same day, her first too. When I had my son 14 years ago you stayed in hospital a week. I remember having to beg to go home after 3 days.

Anna X
The shorter stays are for many reasons.  First,  the insurance companies, don't like those long stays.  Second,  a mother is best off at home, as long as she has help for the first week. We used to lose mothers to blood clots if they stayed in the hospital too long. Plus the dangers of infection are sure  alot higher in the hospital. Third, The out patient success story is a good one, people do recuperate on the average alot better at home.  The rules of release from OP are pretty much the same regardless of where you go. Stable vitals, coherent, have a driver home, home instructions, and take home meds if needed.  The best nurses in a hospital are usually in the ICU's and the Recovery Rooms for OP surgery.
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Trying to lose weight? Grab a snack that works with your diet, not against it. Check out these delicious, slimming foods.