Aa
A
A
A
Close
Ovarian Cancer Community
6.28k Members

Dermoid Cyst - I'm 47

I am 47, and have been diagnosed with a Dermoid Cyst attached to my left Ovary. It has its own blood supply. Everything I read says it is present from birth, I have 5 children, surely it would have been seen before? I had never had an abnormal smear until 2007.

This was only found due to me going to my doctor with continuous heavy bleeding and them investigating.

I have been told by my consultant that it is not malignant, size of a large tennis ball, and will probably have hair and teeth. I am booked in for a full hysterectomy

Confused
1 Responses
Hope you are using an onc/obgyn just to have the best during surgery.  Not sure why you are scheduled for a full hysterectomy(unless it's because of the heavy bleeding and abnormal smear). 99% of the time the dermoids are benign-and they are present from birth but don't always show up.  Lots of posts on the forum on this.

Good luck.
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.