Ovarian Cancer Forum

Gynaecological Ultrasonography Result

Ive had a internal ultrasound and the results are:

Uterus: retroverted
Endometrium cleary visualised,thickness 6.4mm
Pouch of Douglas:polycystic appearance
Right Ovary: 38mm x 50mm x 28mm
Corpus Luteum: 26mm x 19mm x 17mm haemorrhagic
Left Ovary: polycystic appearance
Size: 30mm x 24mm x 33mm

I have pain on and off in my vagina area then at the sides low tummy pain then it can be ok for some time.My period very irregular but then I can bleed for 3 days then a week later for 1 then nothing for around 4 months though still pain.The bleeding can be heavy to the point I have a strong pad then tights then trousers,then it can be nothing even don't need a pantyliner as I only bleed for 2 times a day if that makes sense.

I did ask but im still confused about everything,I have a appointment with my gp and then she said I might be reffered to something beggining with H?

Will this have a affect on me having children? What happens now? How and what controls it?

As much advice from the above will be great to know.

Thank you x
Hi There,
Just to clarify, this is an ovarian cancer forum. There is nothing about your ultrasound or symptoms that lead me to worry about ovarian cancer.
It sounds like you are gettign a careful evaluation. I suspect you may have a condition called
Polycystic ovarian syndrom (PCOS)
Here is a link:  http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/256806-overview

I have pasted one piece of it here:

Menstrual abnormalities
Patients have abnormal menstruation patterns attributed to chronic anovulation.
Some women have oligomenorrhea (ie, menstrual bleeding that occurs at intervals of 35 d to 6 mo, with <9 menstrual periods per y) or secondary amenorrhea (an absence of menstrual for 6 mo). Dysfunctional uterine bleeding and infertility are the other consequences of anovulatory menstrual cycles.
The menstrual irregularities in PCOS usually manifest around the time of menarche.

and here is another nice definition from :   http://www.medicinenet.com/polycystic_ovary/article.htm

What is polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)?

Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), also known by the name Stein-Leventhal syndrome, is a hormonal problem that causes women to have a variety of symptoms. It should be noted that most women with the condition have a number of small cysts in the ovaries. However, women may have cysts in the ovaries for a number of reasons, and it is the characteristic constellation of symptoms, rather than the presence of the cysts themselves, that is important in establishing the diagnosis of PCOS.

PCOS occurs in 5% to 10% of women and is the most common cause of infertility in women. The symptoms of PCOS may begin in adolescence with menstrual irregularities, or a woman may not know she has PCOS until later in life when symptoms and/or infertility occur. Women of all ethnicities may be affected.

What are the symptoms of polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)?

The principal signs and symptoms of PCOS are related to menstrual disturbances and elevated levels of male hormones (androgens). Menstrual disturbances can include delay of normal menstruation (primary amenorrhea), the presence of fewer than normal menstrual periods (oligomenorrhea), or the absence of menstruation for more than three months (secondary amenorrhea). Menstrual cycles may not be associated with ovulation (anovulatory cycles) and may result in heavy bleeding.

Symptoms related to elevated androgen levels include acne, excess hair growth on the body (hirsutism), and male-pattern hair loss.

Other signs and symptoms of PCOS include:

obesity and weight gain,
elevated insulin levels and insulin resistance
oily skin,
dandruff,
infertility,
skin discolorations,
high cholesterol levels,
elevated blood pressure, and
multiple, small cysts in the ovaries.
Any of the above symptoms and signs may be absent in PCOS, with the exception of irregular or no menstrual periods. All women with PCOS will have irregular or no menstrual periods. Women who have PCOS do not regularly ovulate; that is, they do not release an egg every month. This is why they do not have regular periods and typically have difficulty conceiving.

Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize