Ovarian Cancer Community

Help! large, hard mass found. awaiting CT results

Dear friends,

I am 39 years of age and my ultrasound results found a mainly solid heterogenous mass measuring between 10-15 cm 'occupying the pouch of douglas & towards the right adnexa' the solid component is about 7x10x6.5 cm. The consultant who did the scan could not determine the origin of the mass, so there is therefore concern that it has spread to the bowel. I have had bloods taken & a ct scan yesterday & will get results & discussion of surgery in about a week's time.

As I understand it from my researches this 99% statistic refers to simple functional cysts as well, these being the great majority, & that once these masses are hard, whilst there is a chance of them being benign, this is significantly less - about 1 in 5 being malignant in pre-menopausal women & less again in menopausal women.  

I had complained of twinges in that area & had a colonoscopy 4 years ago - they said irritable bowel, so i think this thing has been with me some time. I don't think it is looking hopeful & I am so afraid! :-(             Love x  
Hi, and welcome to the site.  I know that this is a scary time for you, but you are not alone.  I do not know the statistics of everything, but I do know that prayer works.  I will be praying that all goes well for you.  Please keep us posted.  Kasie
Oh bless you for replying x

no have not had any feedback on these points yet. rang consultant's sec. today to find out when my appointment will be to discuss ct image & bloods. had a chat & she would not tell me anything but her manner spooked me. did a short stint as doc's receptionist once & my antenae are good on these things,& little slips & the like. my hunch is not good. yes i know i'm driving myself nuts & i must hold firm etc...

Could someone please help me? I just registered to this site today...I found it while looking on the net for info regrading Endodermal Sinus tumors. I found a forum that read " Does anyone out there have Endodermal Sinus Tumor (yolk sac). Well, I responded with a posting and now I can't seem to get back to where I left the posting. I had ran a search and nothing comes up on it. I would  greatly appreciate any help you can give. Thank you, Robin_L
COMMUNITY LEADER
Hi Robin,

I started a new thread at the top with the info you are looking for.

Gail :)
1 in 5 ? I dont know where on earth you read that but thats not acurate. More like 6% for complex as a whole but less if they get a good idea from the U/S. Mine has been classified as dermoid because of the fatty tissue and the gorgeous Linda F told me that is almost 100 % diagnosable. I then looked about and sure enough the oracle was right - infact about 98 - 99. I also have a slightly elevated ca 125, some free fluid and he still thinks it is benign. Of course no-one knows anything for sure until they take it out so the worry is always going to be there. People need to be so very carefull when trying to interpret stats.

Anna x
i'm so glad that your mass is likley to be dermoid Anna Marie.

you are right about stats, they are a bugger. glad to hear better ones. What concerns me is:

1. that they could not say it might be dermoid at US, &

2. they aren't sure of the origin of the mass; that it might be attatched to the bowel.

These factors frighten the bejeesus out of me.  Surely it ain't looking good. Does anyone know how significant these factors are or have relevant experience?

Get bloods and ct results in about a week. Been nearly 4 weeks since this all kicked off. And at such a difficult, low time in my life to boot. It has been a catalogue of struggles over the past two years from which i thought i was finaly fighting my way out of, and now this. Don't have much reserves left. Having a bad day.  Do have better ones sometimes & manage to laugh.

You ladies are the only ones who understand what i am going through.

Love to all,           R x
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize