Ovarian Cancer Community

Ovarian Cancer/Abdominal

My mom was just diagnosed today with a CA125 of 4,000 and they told her it is ovarian cancer that is in her abdomen. She had gone in for hernia surgery and they found a tumor and did a biopsy. She had 3 liters of fluid removed during that surgery and today her general surgeon gave her the above mentioned results. We do not yet have a stage given, but I am worried with it being in her abdomen. Does anyone have a similar experience. I want to be as prepared emotionally as I can since I will be going with her to her first oncology visit that we are currently in the process of scheduling. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
I'm sorry for this news. I know a lot about ovarian cysts but not much about ovarian cancer. It may be helpful for your mom to get a copy of her pathology report. It would be helpful to do some research about ovarian cancer before her oncologist appointment as it will help you know what questions to ask. Maybe someone else will come along with some words of wisdom.

I wish the best for your mom. Let us know how the appointment goes.
Your Mom has stage 4 ovarian cancer.  I'm sorry.  I have it too.  My sister died from it.  Once ascites (what they call the fluid they pulled out of her belly) begin, the average survival time is about 6 months depending on what kind of ovarian cancer, most likely high-grade serous carcinoma, which is what I have.  She needs to be tested for BRCA1 and BRCA2 and SO DO YOU if she is positive. I'm a documented BRCA1 as was my late sister--and having a 1st degree relative with OVCA increases YOUR risk exponentially.
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Trying to lose weight? Grab a snack that works with your diet, not against it. Check out these delicious, slimming foods.