Ovarian Cancer Forum

Ovarian cancer?

I had a sonogram that found a cyst within my right ovary of questionable nature plus free flowing fluid.  I am 39 years old and my older sister had ovarian cancer twice. She got it first at 38 and then 41 again.  My GYN said to come back in March for another sonogram and a follow-up with her in April. Is this too long to wait? She said because I started a very low dose estrogen birth control pill that it should help this issue.

Should I go for a second opinion?
Hi There
Frances asks a good question
CA 125 can triage cysts but unfortunately it can be elevated in premenopausal women from, menses, pregnancy, infection, fibroids, endometriosis, bowel disorders

I would suggest a repeat in 6-8 weeks
but it is almost March now so that is probably fine

my big question is if your sister has gotten genetic testing for BRCA 1/2 gene mutations
if your sister has a mutation, then you should get tested. If you have a mutation, you need tto have your ovaries and fallopian tubes removed prophylacticlly now
best wishes
Hi - first, I am not doctor. In fact, I also just posted a few questions about a large ov cyst that my GYN Oncologist thinks is benign, and saw your note. I've researched my case and based on what I've learned at this point, I'm curious if your doctor ordered a CA125 test? Also, maybe your sister could ask her GYN Oncologist if you should get a second opinion now? Just some caring suggestions from what I've researched at this point on my case.
A related discussion, ovarian ca was started.
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize