Ovarian Cancer Community

Post intercourse bleeding

First timer here.  I am 36 years old, married for 10 years.  I am the mother of two boys, age 2 and 4.  I am experiencing bleeding during and after intercourse with my husband for the past few months. My muenstral cycle has always been irregular, especially now that I am running about 25-30 miles per week.

Do you have any ideas why this may be occurring?  I am not on the pill.  I mentioned this at the last gyn appointment, and some discomfort and I think he blew me off. My last pap about 2-3 months ago was normal. I have recently increased my running and wondered if I am suppressing my cycle and this is some kind of break through bleeding?  My husband and I are not doing anything differently and have not experienced this before.

Appreciate any feedback, especially specific test names that would provide answers to this.

Thanks so much,
:) Michele
Hi Michele - Please don't let your doctor blow you off.  This is not normal.  Do you bleed or spot between your periods too, or only with sex?  Because anytime you have bleeding or spotting in-between periods, or after sex, it needs to be followed up on.  I don't want to scare you and I hope I'm not, but labs make mistakes.  Have another pap test done.  And have him take a biopsy of your uterus, too.  This is a simple prodecure that can be done right in his office.  It could be nothing to worry about, but still should be followed up on.  And if your doctor blows you off again, find a different doctor.  Take care and let us know how you are.
Please read the above posting from me to the other girl, it was meant for you, too.  And please get checked, ok?
I have scheduled an appointment with a NEW OB/GYN on the 22nd.  Is the biopsy of hte uterus a leap procedure?
Thanks so much for your support-I'll keep you posted.
:) mm
I'm not sure what you mean by 'leap' procedure.  I've never had it done myself, but from what I've been told, it's very similar to a pap test but maybe a tad more uncomfortable.  But I was also told that it literally takes no more than a minute or two to do.

I'm just so appalled at the number of women I see and read about who have a problem that truly needs to be addressed, and their doctor simply shoves them into a black-and-white textbook and if they don't fit into that comfy little slot in their book, they simply 'blow you off' as you so very well put it.  First lesson in training - bleeding between periods, biopsy.  Period.  Why a doctor would not even be concerned about your problem is just plain ignorance on his part and shame on him.  I'm so glad you're going to someone else, and you keep going and speaking up until they can tell you why this is happeneing.  There's a reason, and it may be nothing.  But you need to rule out everything else first.  Please keep us posted and let us know how you are, ok?  Take care.
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize