Ovarian Cancer Community

Post op recovery

This is the first time I've posted on this site although I have been a quiet reader over the last 3 months.  
I'm wondering if any of the wonderful ladies here have any idea how long it takes for your body to settle down after laparotomy surgery for Endometriosis?

Many thanks in advance for help.

Welcome.  It depends on the length of you surgery and how much tissue trauma there is.  By 6 weeks you should be feeling pretty good, however your body will let you know if you have done too much.  Pain and fatigue will set in, so take it easy and build back up slowly.  Glad to hear you are recovering!
~Tascha
I'm 5 weeks on the R/S for laparotomy to remove a 6cm cyst in my right ovary, revealed during US in Jan, unfortunately when the GYN opened me up he found I had Stage IIII Endometriosis which he explained was severe, The whole of my pelvic area was covered, it had spread to my bladder, bowel, ovaries, pouch of douglas and the ligaments holding up the uterus, both ovaries were stuck to the bladder and my uterus had managed to turn in on itself and was stuck together?? everywhere was covered in scar tissue/lesions, I also had a 3.5cm Endometrioma in my left ovary which burst on removal, my GYN also found the cyst in the right ovary had ruptured. My GYN performed ENDOMETRIAL ABLATION and Diathermy to the affected areas and I understand it's all been packed to prevent further scarring and although initially my recovery was excellent, about a week after the op I got a stitch abscess which was undiagnosed for another week as I didn
After reading your post, I am not surprised that you still have some pain.  You could take 6 months to 1 year to be completely healed!!  Take it easy and don't rush this.  It took 4 years for the endo buildup, so it will take some time for recovery.  You are not abnormal, so relax and just get better.  ;-)
~Tascha
Holy Dinah! You poor thing. I would think that would take ages to recover from. But they managed to save your ovaries, am I correct? Well that's good! How old are you (we all get grilled here ha ha)  
You take it easy....Love, Katie
Hi Katie, Yes they managed to save my ovaries thank goodness, but the right one had to be dissected to remove the larger cyst. I'm 35 with no children, which is why I guess my GYN has done what he did as opposed to doing a TAH, he also said if I want children then it needs to happen in the next couple of months!!
Hi - just f.y.i. - everyone is different with recovery time - remember this is major surgery - I had the same thing about 14 years ago and I was a good 10 weeks because of complications - I think I overdid it too soon and got myself into a mess.  I only found out about two months ago when my complex mass was discovered that I actually had endometriosis - doctors didn't tell me a thing back then - of course I never thought to ask either - I was only 30 and it seems to be radical to have a hysterectomy - best thing I ever did though.  I just had a laparoscopy to remove the mass - and I feel fantastic.  Spice
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize