Ovarian Cancer Community

September: Take a Stand

September will be here before we know it along with National Ovarian Cancer Awareness month.
A few days ago I ran across something that really disturbed me. I have been recieving Womens Day magazine for quite some time now. I recently recieved my Sept. issue with a subscription renewal notice. I sat down and began reading the magazine, and by the time I finished, I had made up my mind that i would not renew my subscription. I found 2 advertisements regarding breast cancer for figurines that stated the proceeds would go towards the fight against breast cancer. Not one place in the magazine did I see even one mention of Ovarian cancer. Come on! This is a womens magazine with a large section devoted to womens health. So I sat down and sent an e-mail to the editor explaining that I would not be renewing my subscription and why.
  Though small, it is still a step. I ask that all of you that recieve womens magazines take a close look at the Sept issue and if there is no mention of ovarian cancer, take that one small step. Send an e-mail to the editor and ask that your subscription be cancelled and explain why. Maybe if enough of us let them know how we feel and they begin to lose a little of their precious revenue, they will begin to recognise how important it is that ovarian cancer be made aware of.
         Chris
This is a good idea.  Magazines are hurting for subscribers anyway. This might give them the hint they need to step it up for us.  Marie
Chris,

Excellent idea....We really need to get the word out....It may be small step for one but a giant leap for a small army of us........I am with you....

Love,
Dawnlyn
Wonderful idea ... I'll pass it along to my friends who don't have OVCA, but are my friends and support me in any way they can.  Judy
I am appalled at this! September is OVCA awareness and not one article about it! I too will be on the look out for more articles regarding this horrific disease......Gia
Back in July, beginning of August  there were several posts regarding TEAL SEPTEMBER.....awareness saves lives and increases research dollars. Yes, we should scrutinize  Sept media/publications carefully and take a stand.WITHE
Chris,
I love the tv series Army Wives. They have also made a big deal out of breast  cancer, even a giveaway mustang.  I wish we could all make the public more aware of ovca. Thanks for writing your mag. I don't subscribe so I can't cancel anything.  Sherry
so true...this is now apart of my life & I was upset (still am) about not enough awareness for Endometriosis as I am a sufferer...

I will be wearing teal in Sept....and spreading the word about Womens day...that is sad!
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize