Ovarian Cancer Community

Stand Up to Cancer

Was anyone else disappointed that no air time was given to ovarian cancer on this big name star fund raiser?  Fran Drescher who founded Cancer Schmancer is a survivor of uterine cancer and spoke for a few minutes but there was no further mention of any of the gynecological cancers.  It would have been nice to have had a spokesperson and/or medical doctor discuss new technologies available for diagnosing (OvaSure test) and to urge women to be advocates for their own health.  Otherwise, they did a good job presenting the faces of cancer and I hope they raised a lot of funds.
It hasn't aired yet here on the west coast. It's good to hear what they're showing and what's missing. Maybe I'll just tape it and check it out tomorrow.
I agree .. I was so disappointed no mention of ovarian .. Gilda Radner died from OVCA and I think they could have tied her in with some current news/updates.  It was a wonderful show and watching the kids just did me in.  Judy
I was terribly disappointed, almost called in to tell them.
I was very disappointed.  Before the show my local news station interviewed a rep from the American cancer socitety here in my town and she talked about the different events they do to raise awareness, she talked about how October is breast cancer awareness month and I waited for her to say something about how Sept is Ovarian Cancer and she said nothing.  If the American Cancer society doesn't even acknowledge us how can we expect anything else.  
I WAS SO DISAPPOINTED!!!!!!!! I just kept praying and praying and hoping that it was coming and then NOTHING!! IT really upset me. I felt like calling them too.
They should have just metioned it especially since there are no early detection tools for our cancer.   Deandra
I agree, I too kept waiting. It was, however, a strong message for cancer. Yesterday I was at Sloan Kettering in NYC for a CAT and stopped by their Boutique to check it out. The entire front window was done in PINK, pink wigs, hats, scarves, stuffed animals with pink breast ca logo,socks,etc.etc. I WAS AGHAST. SLOAN IS A LEADER IN THE FIELD, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!  I did manage to find a teal bracelet, in the back of the store, whoppee.Don't you think for a minute that I am not taking issue with them!!!
On my Soap Box rant.... I was so angry that not one word was mentioned that I sat down and sent a check to http://www.ovariancancer.org/index.cfm?nodeid=  There are not too many cancers that kill percentage wise as many people in a short time as ovarian cancer...I feel for anyone with cancer but I HAVE OVARIAN CANCER. I am sick of pink ribbons, sick of yellow bands and I will not and did not donate...
I live in a foreign country and women here are not empowered or educated about ovarian cancer... Even here in Costa Rica you can buy PINK gardening tools... I educate every opportunity I get...my tatto works wonders that way....

My donation the the Ovarian cancer alliance was dedicated to you all... Ronni
Ronnie, thanks for the site, I too am doing the same.I did not donate last nite for the same reasons, just did not know exactly where to go to send $, so thanks!
I am participating tomorrow in the Winners Walk of Hope for to turn up the volume for ovarian cancer awareness in Canada.  Many of my friends have donated to sponsor me in this.  Not one word of this event was mentioned today or any day this week in our local newspaper.  I will be sending a letter to the editor shaming them for the lack of timely reporting.  I did not donate last night either although it was a moving testimonial.
Shame on them...Sept is national ovarian cancer awareness month ( ? )  ( also national leukemia and lymphoma awareness month ) ??  Waited and waited for some mention of at least one gyn cancer... Obama's mother apparently had ovarian cancer yet not one word!!!!!! As with Ronni I am  (no offense)  sick of pink ! and have sent my dollars to Yale research in honor of all of you.
Thank you to all of you who replied to my original posting.  I did not donate last night for the same reasons as all of you.  I will be sending my funds to fight ovarian cancer since the public acknowledement is sorely lacking.

I will be going on their website today to comment on their omission.  Everywhere we turn, there is pink and while breast cancer needs awareness, so do we.  I know there are other sites which offer support to ovarian cancer fighters; I hope they react as well.

To the best of my knowldege, all the women wearing the survivor shirts, except for Fran Drescher had breast cancer.  Surely there was one celebrity who survived ovarian cancer.  I am going to do a search to see if I can find her and ask her to stand up for us!

I hope for the best for all of you.

In friendship,
Paula29
This is the only reference to a "celebrity" standing up for ovarian cancer I could find.  It's nice to know that someone acknowledges our existence!  Eva lost her grandmother and great-grandmother to ovarian cancer.  The only reference to "celebrities" who actually had the disease were for Gilda Radner and Madeline Kahn, who, unfortunately have both passed away.

National Ovarian Cancer Coalition and CSI: Miami Star Eva La Rue Launch Eva's Divas in Hollywood to Educate Women Nationwide About Ovarian Cancer

LOS ANGELES, Sept. 4 /PRNewswire/ -- Today the National Ovarian Cancer Coalition (NOCC) launched its newest educational initiative, Eva's Divas, with a celebrity red-carpet event at Boulevard 3 to honor survivors, friends and family who will be the first to pledge to empower and educate women nationwide about the symptoms and risk factors of ovarian cancer. NOCC spokesperson and CSI: Miami star Eva La Rue, who lost both her grandmother and great-grandmother to the disease, is hosting the event in honor of the NOCC and Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month in September.

"Since there is no screening test for ovarian cancer, it is crucial that women take charge of their reproductive health by educating themselves about the disease and learning how to broach this important topic with their physician, especially if they have a family history of ovarian, breast or colon cancer," said NOCC spokesperson, Eva La Rue. "By encouraging women to be proactive, pay attention to their bodies and to educate one another through their strong networks of friends, family and acquaintances, together we can make a difference in increasing the low survival rate of ovarian cancer."

To become an official member of the Eva's Diva's initiative, women are encouraged to visit http://www.ovarian.org/evasdivas, where they can pledge to learn about ovarian cancer and to "pass it on" to all of the important women, friends and families in their lives. The site also offers important information about ovarian cancer education, an e-card that women can forward to other Divas and fun tips from Eva on how to raise awareness in the Diva's community.

"NOCC is very excited to launch Eva's Divas, NOCC's newest educational initiative under the auspices of our signature Break the Silence campaign," said NOCC Chief Executive Officer, Carol Ansley. "Eva's dedication to recruiting other 'Divas' provides yet another opportunity to achieve NOCC's mission of raising awareness and promoting education about ovarian cancer across the country."

In addition to the launch event, women are encouraged to join Eva La Rue, NOCC volunteers and supporters to participate in the annual "NOCC and PureOlogy's Walk to Break the Silence on Ovarian Cancer" on Saturday, September 6th. The 5K run/walk will take place at Dockweiler Beach in Playa del Rey, CA at 9:00 a.m. Interested participants can visit http://www.ovarian.org/lawalk to become a member of Eva's team and walk with Eva and her Divas at the walk.

About Ovarian Cancer

Ovarian cancer is the leading killer among women's reproductive cancers. This year alone, more than 20,000 women will be diagnosed with ovarian cancer and more than 15,000 will die from it. Nevertheless, only 15 percent of women are familiar with the symptoms, and 82 percent have never talked to their doctor about the symptoms and risk factors of the disease.

Ovarian Cancer Symptoms and Risk Factors

In June 2007, NOCC, along with the Gynecologic Cancer Foundation and other national organizations announced the first national consensus on ovarian cancer symptoms. Women who have the following symptoms almost daily for more than a few weeks should see their gynecologist and ask for a rectovaginal exam and transvaginal ultrasound.

The symptoms include:
    -- Bloating
    -- Pelvic or abdominal pain
    -- Trouble eating or feeling full quickly
    -- Feeling the need to urinate urgently or often

Common risk factors of the disease include genetic predisposition, personal or family history of breast, ovarian or colon cancer, increasing age and undesired infertility. If a woman's risk factors fit any of these criteria, she should proactively inform her doctor.

About National Ovarian Cancer Coalition (NOCC)

Since its inception in 1995, the National Ovarian Cancer Coalition (NOCC) has been committed to raising awareness of ovarian cancer in communities across the country through education and support. As the first and only national ovarian cancer organization with a network of more than 80 Chapters throughout the United States, NOCC has established itself as the leading advocate for patients and families struggling with ovarian cancer. Committed volunteers work together to advance NOCC's mission through a toll-free Help Line, comprehensive web site, peer support, professional education, the promotion of research, publications and Break the Silence, a national education program to facilitate greater awareness and dialogue about ovarian cancer. For more information about the National Ovarian Cancer Coalition, visit http://www.ovarian.org or call 1-888-OVARIAN.

SOURCE National Ovarian Cancer Coalition
09/04/2008 11:14

Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize