Ovarian Cancer Community

Tubo-ovarian Abscess?

I'm doing some more research about my cyst and I was wondering if you guys could direct me to any good sites or have any first hand knowledge of this problem?

When I first came here I posted two questions to Dr. AnneKathryn Goodman in the Dr. Forums and this is what she said:

"However, with an IUD in place and a history of pain, there is a small chance you could have an infection in the fallopian tube. it is reasonable to get a repeat ultrasound in a month. You should also ask your doctor about cultures to check for infection."

Then I asked her about the Mirena causing cysts in a 2nd question and again she said:

"I think I am more fixated on the IUD causing an infection (which I know is rare with the Mirena) than that the hormones in the Mirena (progesterone) causing cysts. I think the second possibility is unlikely"

When I went to my OB/GYN again today he mentioned the same thing about a possible infection. He did a pelvic and rectal exam (fun stuff!) and said he doesn't think I have an ovarian abcess because I would have been in extreme pain when he did the rectal exam. Still I went home and decided to do some research. I found this off a Harvard medical site:

The typical ultrasonographic appearance of a tubo-ovarian abscess is a multilocular, cystic, complex adnexal mass often with debris and thick septations.

Now here is my thing. I only became severely ill a few days after the Mirena was put in me. It felt like I had a bad case of the flu and about 3 days later I felt fine. I don't have a fever and other than my nerves being frazzled I only have a general discomfort on my left side.

Is it possible to have this abscess and not have any symptoms like a fever or the Flu?

Could that infection have started when I was really sick those days and my body just learned to cope with it?

My doc didn't really say anything about it other than he doesn't THINK I have an abscess not that he KNOWS.

I'm about to get a knife and an ice cream scoop and take of this myself! LOL.
oops!

I forgot to mention I had the Mirena put in on May 9th 2007 and I had it taken out today.
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Trying to lose weight? Grab a snack that works with your diet, not against it. Check out these delicious, slimming foods.