Ovarian Cancer Community

What does this mean?

Some of you will recall - my DIL was diagnosed w/Stage IV OVCA May 14. Since then, she's been on Carbo/Taxol 4X, then went to Mayo. At Mayo, they resectioned her liver because the right lobe was gone. That was surgery #1. She came back, more chemo. Went to Mayo, removed everything possible to remove and has a scar from her lower breast bone to her pubic area.  More chemo. Third surgery a month ago @ Mayo, they did a pleurectomy, removed some malignant lymph nodes from her lungs sawing two ribs in two to do so. Came home.

Doc changed her chemo to Carbo/Gemzar, and 2 1/2 weeks ago she had her first treatment. Was to be C/G, then G, then C/G, then G - for I don't know how many times. But when she went in Monday for the Gemzar, her white blood platelets were too low for chemo. After having read about Gemzar, it seems to me that it's really nasty on both white  & red blood cells. At any rate, her Gyn/Onc here told her she had fluid on her lungs - again, and it's hard for her to get a good deep breath.

I was under the impression that once Chemo started, the ascites would dry up. She had her lung tapped early on twice, but hasn't had that done since June or July.  So, what are you ladies' opinions on what this means? Does it mean that the chemo isn't working? Or does it have something to do w/her surgery 5 weeks ago? I'd appreciate any input.  Katie
I continue to have pleural effusion drained twice a week at home via a catheter installed in my pleural cavity.  Simple procedure, very effective.  Yes it means the chemo is not working optimally but it may take time,  I could not tolerate Gemzar/Cisplatin they had me on, trying Doxil/Caelyx now which is slow acting.  I am the queen of patience anymore.  
She will feel much better when her lungs are drained, I also have oxygen for use 24/7 and it helps dramatically.
Best to your DIL in her battle,
Sharon
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.