Ovarian Cancer Community

What kind of cancer do I have?

I am age 37, Female within BMI range. I exercise and eat relatively well. Diagnosed with a left adnexal mass 10x8x8, type unknown even though thoroughly investigated. Doctors unable to diagnose. The following issues were present prior to discovery of Mass.

1) PCOS diagnose since 20 (hiritusm, acne, severe hair loss)
2) Hypertension diagnosed aged 25 - on Micardis Plus
3) High cholesterol regardless of diet and exercise
4) Pre-Diabetic - on Metformin
5) Signs of Osteoarthritis - on hold till mass is dealt with.
6) Gluten problems (bloating and bowel issues)
7) Acid Reflux
8) Migraines
9) 3 calcified/herniated disks lower back and one herniated disk in neck
10) No family history of cancer.
11) Vision problems seeing at night

History

Sept 2014 - Slight cramps and severe bleeding from vagina lasting up to 2 hours. Hospital visit included Ultrasound where Left Adnexal Mass discovered. CT Scan reported ovarian and cervical neoplasm and 3 small fibroids. No Pain or irregular vaginal bleeding prior to this.

Subsequent Ultrasound and MRI indicated the mass does not come from Left Ovary. Mass touches Ovary, may be touching OR attached to uterus and is touching Right Ovary. Source of mass suggested Fallopian Tubes. I have been ovulating as per normal. MRI and Ultrasound impressions are Malignant in characteristic. Additional piece of mass found in lower pelvis area.

CA-125 Normal
Papsmear Normal
Blood Work - Normal

Nov 2nd - Severe pain in pelvic area causing multiple blackouts within a period of 30 minutes. Menstruation starts 30 minutes later. This never happened before.
Apart from this is sometimes have slight nerve pain on my side of abdomen and running down my left leg.

Doctors Comments:

Doctors are bewildered as I do not present with cancer symptoms. No weight loss, no fatigue, no loss of appetite etc. Generally feel the same. Analysis suggests malignancy in character due to presence of blood vessels mixed with tissue and shape of mass. Multiple specialist have reviewed my reports and including analysis by 2 hospitals including the Tumor Board. Still unable to say what cause this and what it is. I have been told that my case is uncommon and rare.

Doctors suggest removal of both ovaries and fallopian tubes and aim to save uterus. Suggested to freeze eggs/embryos. I would like to have kids some day.

ONE REPORT of the 4 states: Wide Differential Diagnosis - ovarian epithelial malignancy, low grade sarcomatous lesion, tubal malignancy.
Another Report - Suggested Fallopian Tube Malignancy.

My issue:

Freezing eggs cost 10,000 CAD. Is there anything I can do to find out if this is definitely cancer? Biopsy too risky and afraid it will cause "cancer" to spread.
I fear I suffer from an undiagnosed autoimmune disorder which has maybe cause some sort of organ growth? Is this possible?

Any comments would be helpful.

Gynecologic cancer is actually rare if you do not have a predisposition or family history. Having PCOS increases your risk for endometrial cancer due to the lack of ovulations which causes the lining to thicken. The greater the lack of ovulations (and missed periods), the greater the risk. However, contraceptives commonly used by women with PCOS normalize this risk (not sure if it reduces the risk to that of the average woman or not). Metformin may also reduce risk of endometrial cancer as well as breast cancer.

Has surgery been recommended to remove these masses? If so, then frozen sections should be done on the masses to determine if they are malignant. The frozen sections would be done while you are in the operating room. If they are benign (non-cancerous) then there should be no need to remove any organs.

Unfortunately, unnecessary removal of the female sex organs is grossly overused in the U.S. and some other countries. And our sex organs are needed for much more than reproduction and sexual function than we are told. The ovaries of a woman with all her parts produce hormones into her 80's for optimal health and well-being.
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize