Work during chemo

Recently diagnosed with clear cell ovarian ca and will be undergoing chemo just had TAHBSO .I work as a nurse anybody out there can shed some light if its possible to work since I really want to go back to work and go on with my life slowly.Any recommendations.Thank you in advance.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thank you for your response just wondering how old you are? You are a very active person it seems like.i do have short term disability but just thinking I want to live somewhat normal life and fight.i guess it would depend if my manager will accommodate my work hours and working around patients.
Helpful - 0
I had standard carbo/taxol chemo every four weeks for six cycles.  I didn't suffer nausea or anything like that.  But boy did I have constipation.  (That's from the pills they give you to fight the chemo side effects, I'm told.)  

I did have a little bit of peripheral neuropathy.  They told me to take B6, and that helped.  After a few cycles, my blood tests showed the need for Neulasta to  improve my white blood cell count and fight infection.  It was very expensive, and I begged my primary doctor's nurse to administer it because I just couldn't self-administer the shot.  It's one shot per month.  Tip:  I think the predecessor drug required several shots but was lots less expensive.  

The worst part (because I'm more vain than I ever thought) was losing my hair.  If you're on carbo/taxol, you will lose your hair.  I got a good wig because of an important family event -- I wanted to look like myself in the photos, which will be around forever.  (My cousin, who is less vain, bought a variety of cheap wigs and tried out various hair colors, styles, etc.  She said her employees never knew what personality was going to show up for work!)  My hair came back strong but curly for the first year;  I'm glad to be back to normal now.  

Do keep in touch.  Others on this forum will have additional comments/advice for you, I'm sure.  

Helpful - 0
Sorry but have to understand I along with alot of other people are living this hell and when my curser moved over your name and I saw male I was very upset that someone would think it humerous to talk about this subject..  Again please accept my apology and hope you find the answers your looking for here.  I could no way work the first time I had chemo was only good one day a week , and this time the chemo is not as hard on me but again due to swollen lymph nodes and other problems I can not stand very long with out extreme pain in my back.  Depends on your job some people can work I had to be on my feet 10 hrs a day and it was to much but again I apologise and good luck
Helpful - 0
Thank you for the reply.i will be having chemo the sad part is they we're not able to stage me since I was bleeding a lot and it was risky to take lymph nodes.i had so much scarring from previous surgeries.did you have any side effects from chemo? Also one of my ovary busted during surgery.only one of my ovary has cancer.
Helpful - 0
This is not a joke.its for me I'm female my profile was a big mistake.didn't pay attention.just changed it
Helpful - 0
A little confused your profile says your male and kinda hard to see a man with ovarian cancer, if you think this is a joke than shame on you and I really want to be more blunt but wont be because maybe your writing for your better half or she is writing under your name.  I hope this is the case
Helpful - 0
I worked at home and was back at my desk the day I got home from the hospital.  I was more comfortable at my desk or the kitchen table than in the low chairs and sofa we have.  

Six weeks later, I was running an out-of-town convention.  My husband insisted on driving me to the meeting and he stayed to do the heavy lifting.  After we got home, I got my port and started chemo.   (Doctor was fine with that and his nurse was disapproving that I waited 8 weeks to start chemo.  He was right;  I'm still here10 years later.)  

The hospital will probably have an opinion about how soon you can go back to work.  Are you having chemo?  You'll need to time your chemo so that any illness/constipation that the chemo causes will occur over the weekend.  But I think you can probably handle working and chemo.  (Might be good for you;  I've blamed the  steroids associated with chemo for the weight gain I experienced.  I've always wished I had been more active during the "off chemo" weeks.)  

Good luck and God bless ...
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.