Ovarian Cancer Forum

diagnosis of PMP

I am now a 31 yo female who has had 1 laproscopy in Sept 07 where they removed a borderline mucinous cyst and 1oophorectomy and appendectomy via laparotomy in Jan 08 where they removed additional benign mucinous cysts.  i had a recent ultrasound which shows another complex cyst (4cm) that is similar to the mucinous cysts that were removed in both surgeries prior.  I live in a town without any expertise and fly to Seattle from Alaska to have these surgeries and the doctor down south recommends waiting until Sept 08 before doing surgery again.  I have been doing my own research and wonder if PSEUDOMYXOMA PERITONEI is a possible diagnosis as I have recurrent episodes every 4-5 months.  Are doctors hesitant for giving such a diagnosis because i have not been given any at this point.  Should i schedule to talk to an oncologist as I have not yet done this?
My other questions are how often should i expect to go through these surgeries if I'd like to keep the ovary i have left?  Do I have the possibility to get pregnant if I have PSEUDOMYXOMA PERITONEI?
hi There,

PSEUDOMYXOMA PERITONEI is a condition of mucinous ascites. This occurs usually from the rupture of a tumor of the appendix. it is an easy diagnosis to make at surgery. Also a CT scan would show fluid and low density material around the abdomen.

wikipedia has a nice summary:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudomyxoma_peritonei

If your ultrasound or Ct scans have not shown this, it is unlikely that you have this condition.

a borderline tumor per se would affect your fertility.
For a small cyst such as a 4 cm cyst, waiting until September is not unreasonable. Also it would be good to repeat the ultrasound to make sure your cyst is not just a cyst of ovulation that resolves on its own
best wishes
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.