Ovarian Cancer Community

diet to lose weight while on chemo

Leslee wants to lose weight,  have any of you tried any good diet plans?  She is wondering about weight watchers. She eats a very healthy diet now, has since this all began, should lose about 30 pounds, her chemo is based on her weight.  she gets lots of exercize,  but maybe she needs to do more.  Any suggestions welcome.
Per my experience eat LESS, and 6-7 times a day, with a lot of fruits, vegies... No secret. Sue
I am trying to hold my weight, have gained 2 lbs, read somewhere that the normal weight gain during chemo is 35 lbs.  I just eat healthy and around 1400 calories or less a day, and exercise an hour a day.  Good luck to Leslee
Being on chemo your metabolism is thrown off. Surgical menopause then chemo. It's difficult. I would not recomend weight watchers at all. That has a lot of processed food. Lots of salads with avocado (food fat) and keep try to move, move, move. Protein with vegies and fruit. And as Best says eat less and more frequently, trying to cut out high amounts or refined carbohydrates. Eat that breakfast in the morning which should have tons of fiber (oatmeal is good) with a raw apple.

I meant to say "good fat."  And also the steroids don't help either!
First off, she shouldn't be so hard on herself. Chemo can do a lot of things to mess up ones body. I actually asked my doctor about joining a weight loss center, because I too, am unhappy with my gain (yes, i know - don't be so hard on myself!) He told me that while learning to eat healthy certainly is good for you, that for me to expect to lose weight easily, while taking the steroids I take, is unrealistic. It's not imposible, but won't be easy. So long as she goes into whatever she chooses knowing that it's goiong to be an uphill battle, then just tell her to be patient and make some small changes...the weight will come off eventually. I'm going to defend Leslee here, and just say that I would hope the people commenting on this thread have actually been through chemo...otherwise, you really just don't understand the toll, both emotionally and physically, it takes on you. Hope that didn't come across sounding mean...
Becky
She will not be eating the prepared weight watchers food.  Just looking at the levels of the diet,  she is very uncomfortable with all this weight gain,  She eats very wisely, lots of raw fruits and veggies,  she just needs to learn , like I did, that when the kids leave home,  you don't have to cook such big diversified meals. After years of cooking for 7 people it was so hard for me to learn to cook for 2.  If she can create an awareness of her food intake in her mind, then maybe she can manage it better.  Has anyone ever heard of any one taking a diauretic while on chemo? She has shot up from a trim 148#s  to 201#s.   53#s is a hell of a differnece to get used to, let alone buying new clothes all the time.  She jokes about being Goodwills best customer. She knows about diet control, her hubby had his stomach stapled  3 years ago. Leslee is a fantastic cook and  has always had a blast in the kitchen cooking. One of the hardest things a person trying to diet  has to do is change their  focus on food. In my time working with people with disabilities, one of my biggest challenges were the ones with food compulsions.  Actually used hypnosis to make certain food repulsive to them.
Soooo glad you posted this question...I have gained almost 30 lbs since my hysto and 9 rounds of chemo and can't understand why...I eat small portions, no sweets except sugar in my one cup of coffee, drink loads of water, thanks to the weather, I sweat none stop and walk everyday!! Still the weight keeps creeping up...When I got on the scale on Monday, I was shocked!!  I thought I was starting to lose a little or stay at the same level but nooooo, another 5 pounds have attached themselves to my body!!!
I have done some research on this problem and found one possible fix for the problem. So many recommend swimming to not only lose the weight but also firm up the muscles. Leslee loves to swim, in fact she was on a highschool swim/diving team for 3 years and has used all the local pools year round, but hasn't since her surgery. I called her and she will be going daily now. She said if she can find a suit that will fit. Also said she would rather be bald than fat. I did find one web site that mentioned asking the doctor about diuretics.  There are quite a few web sites for weight gain during chemo,  and suggestions on how to either cope, or try to lose.  Seems many women do not do the weight gain thing, they lose.  They also stress how harmful it can be to gain too much.  Avoiding salt is good  for fluid retention.
use the post comment  right under this square and it will post for you
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize